Menu

1st tournament/1st 5k race..what a weekend

My ds had his first No-Gi submission wrestling tournament. I can't tell you the depths of my anxiety. Ds loves to compete but he is so tiny and I wasn't really sure about his abilities. We used to do TKD tournaments and he bombed his last one. I didn't handle it very well because he acted like a fool during his competition.

This tournament was free for participants and close by so I decided I would give a go. I was so scared for him. Ds was excited yet cool as a cucumber. I was scared for his safety and well, worried that he would lose badly. I am okay if he loses but not if it is due to acting like a fool or being completely humiliated. Submission wrestling is very aggressive.

Well, I was happy with the running of the tournament. It was fast. TKD competitions take the whole day and you spend the whole day in total anxiety. My son gets in the ring. I kept gasping and closing my eyes and covering my mouth and wincing. My son won and won well. His competitor cried.

All the preliminary matches are done yet my son didn't get to fight again. Instead the kid that lost got to go and compete. Turns out there was a clerical error and my son was marked down as the loser. I was mad! I did a fair bit of nagging and the organization set up some more matches for my son. His second fight, the boy tapped. His 3rd match, I didn't see all of it but I thought my son lost. His opponent had him in a rear-naked choked and stretched him out. Despite that it looked like my son lost, it was a good match. His opponent was very impressive. Aha! Turns out my son won that fight. Ds, while in the midst of a serious choke, did some kind of leg manuver that forced the other boy to tap. My son got matched up with a larger kids. My son did lose but he lost well. He got himself out of a deep guillotine choke and managed a rear-naked choke attempt. He lost on out points. I was so proud my son kept his composure during his matches.

Today I did my first 5k race. I did beat the bus. I don't know my time but I estimate that I did it in just under a half hour.

Good job!! Was it exhilarating??

I did my first 5k, too. :) There was a killer hill around 2.3 miles--ugh! LOL--that just about did me in and really slowed me down, but I'm proud that I finished the whole thing. I think my time was around 34 minutes. Pretty good for a gal that still needs to lose about 40 pounds. LOL! I'm going to do another one in a month or two. How about you? :D

Good job!! Was it exhilarating??

I did my first 5k, too. :) There was a killer hill around 2.3 miles--ugh! LOL--that just about did me in and really slowed me down, but I'm proud that I finished the whole thing. I think my time was around 34 minutes. Pretty good for a gal that still needs to lose about 40 pounds. LOL! I'm going to do another one in a month or two. How about you? :D

There were some hills. I found it difficult at first. I think because I had an adrenaline dump. I was a bit discouraged because the majority of people were in super shape. I am not. OTH, I did sprint to the finish, uphill.

Woo Hoo! Maybe I'll see your son in the UFC someday????? :D How awesome!

I have his walkout song already picked out.;)