Menu

Videos/DVD's to go with Ancients... Got any favorites?

Just wondering if anyone has any favorite documentary-type videos/DVD's (to record from the History Channel, etc. or to order from Netflix/Blockbuster) to go along with the following Ancient History topics:

Mesopotamia

Egypt

Greece

Rome

China

I'm interested in not only individual programs or "specials", but also series. Thanks!

I've recorded a lot of stuff about Ancient Egypt from the History Channel, A&E, National Geographic, and others over the years, and since we can't watch them ALL (well, I'd love to, but EK would definitely balk!), I need to pick a few that are really outstanding.

I'm interested in knowing which special programs or series you think especially worthwhile. Here are a few of the ones I have recorded; please comment on these OR suggest others so I can look for them on Netflix or elsewhere:

Egypt: Engineering an Empire

Egypt: Beyond The Pyramids

Egypt Uncovered

Engineering Egypt

Egypt Unwrapped

The Greatest Pharaohs

One year we watched 2 that were National Geographic Society ones- not sure of the names now, but the last time we covered the ancients we got Ancient Egyptians - 2 disks -from Netflix. They are 4 doc-dramas ie true stories dramatized. They were very good and I got my husband and older kids to watch them before we visited Egypt a year later.

The other series we watched thru the Ancient was Decisive Battles of the Ancient World. Netflix has them but we got them from our local library. Many famous battles are re-enacted using video game technology to show the strategies etc, and there are interviews with historians intermingled to explain what happened.

Meryl

The very best bang for your ancient world DVD buck would be Time Life's Lost Civilizations. This is a set of four DVDs which contain episodes on Mesopotamia, Egypt, the Early Aegean, Greece, Rome, China, Mayas, Incas, Africa, and Tibet. The shows are information-packed and easy to follow. I watched them over and over when we were studying the ancient world and got something new out of them each time.

This set can be found on Amazon for $44.99.

The very best bang for your ancient world DVD buck would be Time Life's Lost Civilizations. This is a set of four DVDs which contain episodes on Mesopotamia, Egypt, the Early Aegean, Greece, Rome, China, Mayas, Incas, Africa, and Tibet. The shows are information-packed and easy to follow. I watched them over and over when we were studying the ancient world and got something new out of them each time.

This set can be found on Amazon for $44.99.

That is a fantastic set, my kids loved them

ipod.gif