Menu

Is there such a thing as a (science) study of ROCKETS ??

starwarsmomma

The Estes Rockets website has an education section that has several curriculum plans. I haven't use any of those, though, so I'm not familiar with what they're like. Dh did rockets as a kid and was able to show ds's how to build and launch them. (Dh was also a physics major and could explain all the aerodynamics and physics principles involved.) The building is tedious and better for an older child who has good dexterity and lots of patience. But there are lots of ready-to-fly kits available. If you're near a Hobby Lobby you can use those 40% off coupons to buy your supplies.

http://www.estesrockets.com/

Cinder

I like the nasa one~! Thanks!

Here's my situation -- I have a very old printer that doesn't like me, so I print as little as possible. This is 160 pages!!! (and printer does not do color, LOL)

The computer is really far away from where we homeschool, so it's not convient to just pull it up either.

I was hoping there was an inexpensive curriculum or kit that i could get.

Thanks!

Edited by joyfulheart

I like the nasa one~! Thanks!

Here's my situation -- I have a very old printer that doesn't like me, so I print as little as possible. This is 160 pages!!! (and printer does not do color, LOL)

The computer is really far away from where we homeschool, so it's not convient to just pull it up either.

I was hoping there was an inexpensive curriculum or kit that i could get.

Thanks!

I loved the NASA one, my ds did too! If you read through their website their is a place you can contact in each state to order printed materials. They not only have the guides but also movies, posters, and other materials. I ordered several things from the MO one and all they charged me was .50 for each movie, they sent them 4 to a VHS tape. Anyway, maybe you could get one that way cause it really is good! I got this for ds and his best friend and they both said it was the funnest science they had ever done!:D

Oh, if you're going to do rockets, you must build one from scratch. Don't get a kit. I used to teach an after school rocket club with my jr. highers (when I was teaching jr. high science) and we'd build rockets made out of wrapping paper tubes with balsa wood fins and nose cones made of file folders. THen we'd spray paint them and launch them. And then we'd have a pizza party and watch "October Sky". Those were good times!

Here's a great site for information and rockets, from already built to build them yourself. He really guides you through the process. We have bought from this site. Also, Hobby Lobby carries Estes products, they recently had a 30% off sale so keep your eye out for those. My dd9 is obsessed with rockets, we've even done a kit propelled by vinegar and water. I agree with searching the internet for curriculum plans, try the library for extra books depending on how far you want to go with it. Dh builds and flies model helicopters and airplanes so we've branched out and learned all kinds of cool stuff about aerodynamics, engines, etc. Have fun!

If you can't find a curriculum you like, you can still print anything you find online.

Find what you like and download it to your computer. Once there, you can upload to a print service like Kinkos.com and they'll have it printed for you in hours.

If uploading it is not convenient, save it to a disk or thumb drive and walk into any print service shop, including OfficeDepot and OfficeMax. I bet Staples also, but I haven't done it there.

My house got hit by lightning years ago and it took out my printer while I was in the middle of a print-intensive project. I got really good at getting stuff printed without a printer at home.

Almost forgot -- Kinko's has an educator's discount of 15%. Their website changed recently so I don't have the link for the registration. If you can't find it and need it, PM me and I'll find it.