Menu

Expecting too much or just too many kids? :)

carlychan

We started school just this week. We moved across the country at the beginning of August and went "home" to visit family for a week. So, we have gotten a bit of a late start. This is my first year homeschooling completely by myself. In CA, we had a charter school that provided plans and books. We are very closely following TWTM for 5th and 1st. I also have 2 toddlers (literally) running around (2 and 1). We haven't even done any Latin or Spanish this week and it seems to be taking FOREVER to finish each day. My 1st grader is doing fine, but my 5th grader seems overloaded with stuff to do. Here is what he is doing:

Saxon 7/6 one lesson a day with warm up and fact sheet

LLATL 1 lesson a week

Reading for LLATL and free reading around 1 hour day

handwriting practice 1/2 page a day

History outlining KF with mapwork from Uncle Josh's outline maps plus timeline

Science reading and summary paragraph plus experiments when applicable

Geography Trail Guide to US Geo. 3 times a week

Lively Latin

Rosetta Stone Spanish

We haven't even done any languages this week. I would also like to add Writing Strands but I just don't know how we can fit it in. What would you "delete" if you had to? Geography seems to be taking a LOT of time, but he hasn't had any US geo. and I think he needs to know the states. Maybe this is completely normal for 5th grade. It just seems like SO much work. What do you guys thing?

Well I wouldn't fiddle with the Trail Guide to *US* geography if you're doing ancients for history, that's for sure. If you're leaving him to do the outlining alone, that may be part of what is making it take so long. He may need supervision and hand-holding at first.

For those states, why not just get the Audio Memory dvd and be done with it? Quick, simple, and then you can eliminate the Trail Guide.

Is he doing math first? Is it taking unusually long? Is he placed correctly? Maybe he needs to work on his facts or have a mult. table to make it go faster? I just don't see that much work, by the time you eliminate the Trail Guide and the languages. Are you getting time to work with him, or are you constantly interrupted by the toddlers? I have my very active 11 month old doing booster seat time. We had to start low and work up to it, but it's GREAT, as it gives me some unbroken time to work with dd on her parent-intensive stuff. Then she does independent stuff while I play with him.

Alternate some of your subjects. History on M/W/F, Science on T/TH. Latin on M/W/F and Spanish on T/TH. He probably doesn't need to do handwriring everyday, either, - maybe 3 times per week would be enough. Saxon can get to be a bit much; cut back on the number of problems by crossing out a few each day. Or let him do some of the math in the evening as "homework".

There's a definate learning curve to starting a new school year with new curriculum. Give both him and yourself some time to streamline and adjust.

HTH, Stacy

Well, we have been doing Saxon since the beginning. So, that isn't taking unusually long (more than normal anyway). The toddlers are in/around all the time. We all get interupped a lot. I will have a sitter 10 hours a week coming into the house in a couple of weeks. That will help a lot. He seems to be doing fine with the outlining. He doens't like to write (the physical act of writing). That is making all the writing very laborous.

If I drop the us geography, what do I do for geography? Is the ancients mapwork enough? Will it matter if we wait a year or two to do us geo? I am afraid if he has to go to "school" in a year or two that he will need to know them and won't.

I will stagger the subjects a bit more. This has been a short week so that has probably made it worse. Thanks for your opinions.

We started school just this week. We moved across the country at the beginning of August and went "home" to visit family for a week. So, we have gotten a bit of a late start. This is my first year homeschooling completely by myself. In CA, we had a charter school that provided plans and books.

I'm right there with you! I don't have any advice, just lots of sympathy. We also moved across country at the beginning of August (from CA to MN), and had to spend time getting unpacked and settled. It was such a crazy summer, and I had no time to plan things out or select curriculum. We started school this week, along with all the local public school kids, but it seems late to us since our charter school in CA started in mid-August.

I think you should really just give yourself some time to get back into the swing of things. :D My middle two have really had a tough time getting back into doing school. They've only done a smattering of school because things are taking us FOREVER, and this is all the same stuff we've used in previous years, so we're not even trying to learn a new curriculum on top of things. (Fortunately, my high schooler is more disciplined than the rest of us and she's really buckled down and done well. :lol:) My little guy interrupts us constantly and is struggling with not having his siblings' full attention anymore during the day.

I suspect that next week will go more smoothly, and within a few weeks, we'll be adjusted and back into our little routine. I hope! ;)

He doens't like to write (the physical act of writing). That is making all the writing very laborous.

That is typical of many boys. Maybe you could have him type his outlines, or anything else he needs to write. Or perhaps audio record his outlines, or some of the written things.

My boys hate handwriting workbooks. I don't know what you are using, but maybe you could incorporate the handwriting into another subject, and not do JUST handwriting.

We started school just this week. We moved across the country at the beginning of August and went "home" to visit family for a week. So, we have gotten a bit of a late start. This is my first year homeschooling completely by myself. In CA, we had a charter school that provided plans and books. We are very closely following TWTM for 5th and 1st. I also have 2 toddlers (literally) running around (2 and 1). We haven't even done any Latin or Spanish this week and it seems to be taking FOREVER to finish each day. My 1st grader is doing fine, but my 5th grader seems overloaded with stuff to do. Here is what he is doing:

LLATL 1 lesson a week

Reading for LLATL and free reading around 1 hour day

handwriting practice 1/2 page a day

History outlining KF with mapwork from Uncle Josh's outline maps plus timeline

Science reading and summary paragraph plus experiments when applicable

Geography Trail Guide to US Geo. 3 times a week

Lively Latin

Rosetta Stone Spanish

We haven't even done any languages this week. I would also like to add Writing Strands but I just don't know how we can fit it in. What would you "delete" if you had to? Geography seems to be taking a LOT of time, but he hasn't had any US geo. and I think he needs to know the states. Maybe this is completely normal for 5th grade. It just seems like SO much work. What do you guys thing?

I would drop handwriting, trail guide and a language.

I would drop handwriting, trail guide and a language.

I can drop handwriting...no biggie there:) I would like to drop one of the languages, but I don't know which one. Obviously, I should drop the Latin. However, I paid *good* money for the Lively Latin and the Rosetta Stone is free to us (military).

I also forgot that we plan on doing some mindbenders and other logic type books.

I wouldn't mind dropping trail guide, but my DS LOVES it! He looks forward to learning about the states. I guess we will have to cut it back some. Today was MUCH better. Matter of fact, we were done by 1:00. We didn't do everything, but did do the basics. I think I do need to give it a little more time. If things go the same as the last week have, these kiddos may be in public school next month! Just kidding:)

What would you "delete" if you had to?

I would think in terms of th 3R's and Latin

Math - 60-90 minutes daily (how long does it take now?)

Good. Keep the math ;)

Reading - 90 minutes daily (just the actual reading, not the writing)

Here is where I'd count history/science/literature/novels/religion/etc.

LLATL reading goes here.

Science reading - goes here

Writing - 30 mins daily. total.

handwriting practice -- . Can't imagine this takes but a couple minutes.

History outlining KF - I'd put here under writing

summary paragraph (from science)

Writing strands

You can do different things different days. Or Writing Strands for 1 month; other writing stuff for another month, then keep alternating, etc.

LATIN - :30 min daily, progress at student's pace of mastery

Is a priority.

That's four "on-task hours" - which might take 5 clock-hours, considering lunch, restroom, transition times, etc.

Where is PE and fitness and exertion activity?

How many academic minutes did you want him on task? :)

Extras

--science plus experiments when applicable

--LLATL - i don't know what else is in LLATL other than reading

--Geography Trail Guide to US Geo. 3 times a week

-- Rosetta Stone Spanish

-- learning the states. If this is a priority, I'd buy a wooden puzzle. Give him 1 state puzzle piece per week, in order they joined the Union. Have him do the puzzle daily. Would take literally a few minutes. By next Sept, he'll know his states on the map.

:seeya:

I can drop handwriting...no biggie there:) I would like to drop one of the languages, but I don't know which one. Obviously, I should drop the Latin. However, I paid *good* money for the Lively Latin and the Rosetta Stone is free to us (military).

I also forgot that we plan on doing some mindbenders and other logic type books.

I wouldn't mind dropping trail guide, but my DS LOVES it! He looks forward to learning about the states. I guess we will have to cut it back some. Today was MUCH better. Matter of fact, we were done by 1:00. We didn't do everything, but did do the basics. I think I do need to give it a little more time. If things go the same as the last week have, these kiddos may be in public school next month! Just kidding:)

I made the decision to do Latin only. Spanish can happen in highschool. Sounds like you had a good day! I love those :-)

-- learning the states. If this is a priority, I'd buy a wooden puzzle. Give him 1 state puzzle piece per week, in order they joined the Union. Have him do the puzzle daily. Would take literally a few minutes. By next Sept, he'll know his states on the map.

:iagree: Before I read through all the posts, I was thinking that you could get a States placemat from Walmart for around $1.00 and have him look at it during meals. Make up fun games asking him questions about the states. I got one, and my boys quizzed each other, and had a good ol' time with that placemat--much more than I ever realized they would when I bought it. I spent another $1.00 and got one of the US Presidents also. Same thing happened! So without "studying" them, they soon knew the states, where they were and their capitals, and all the Presidents in order and info. about each one! I'd do that again in a heartbeat. I tell you---that was the best $2.00 I ever spent! :D He may not have a sibling that he can do that with, but maybe you and your dh can step up to the plate there, and keep it fun!

I quoted Moni's post, because I think the map puzzle is a great idea too!

I would think in terms of th 3R's and Latin

Math - 60-90 minutes daily (how long does it take now?)

Good. Keep the math ;)

Reading - 90 minutes daily (just the actual reading, not the writing)

Here is where I'd count history/science/literature/novels/religion/etc.

LLATL reading goes here.

Science reading - goes here

Writing - 30 mins daily. total.

handwriting practice -- . Can't imagine this takes but a couple minutes.

History outlining KF - I'd put here under writing

summary paragraph (from science)

Writing strands

You can do different things different days. Or Writing Strands for 1 month; other writing stuff for another month, then keep alternating, etc.

LATIN - :30 min daily, progress at student's pace of mastery

Is a priority.

That's four "on-task hours" - which might take 5 clock-hours, considering lunch, restroom, transition times, etc.

Where is PE and fitness and exertion activity?

How many academic minutes did you want him on task? :)

Extras

--science plus experiments when applicable

--LLATL - i don't know what else is in LLATL other than reading

--Geography Trail Guide to US Geo. 3 times a week

-- Rosetta Stone Spanish

:seeya:

Wow, you can do my schedule anytime:) We do TONS of PE. We take the dog on a long walk or bike ride 1 or 2 times a day. The boys ripstick, scooter ride, rollerblade, trampoline, etc. every day. Add in sword "fighting" and lightsabers and they spend HOURS a day on "PE." We will eventually get back into gymnastics (and baseball in the spring).

The writing from above (outlining, science, etc.) takes more than 1/2 hour a day. But, I think I am going to have to buy a more structured science curriculum. I just don't think I can do TWTM version. I am looking into that now. That will cut down on some writing.

I think the overall reading might be more, also. He does do some of his reading in the evening and before bed (LLATL and free reading). We also do a nightly family read. So, during the day it may hover around 90 minutes.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I think it is going to get better in the following weeks. I plan to start the Latin next week. Maybe I will let him do the Rosetta Stone in his own time. He did a little over the summer by himself.