Menu

Help with "adding and carrying"

lovelee

My son is in the Abeka 1 book at the end, where they are adding and carrying. I do not have the teacher book, so maybe they really teach how to explain it in there, but in the student text, it just starts with the problem and has no explanation. I have tried, and tried to explain it to him, but to no avail. He just doesn't get it. Really I don't think he understands place value. So far he just adds the numbers together, and knows to do this column first, but now that pace value matters, he's not getting it.

I got out my MUS blocks, to use as a viusal, and it still didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas or experince in this area?

Thanks!

Show him how, when you add the two groups, the ones group has enough to make a ten...

Now count the ones blocks, OH LOOK, we have 10 ones blocks. What we can do is carry those ones blocks over to the tens collumn! On paper, we put a 1 over the tens collumn to remind us to add it in. With the blocks, we can trade these 10 ones blocks for one 10s block!

Hth.

I used a place value pocket chart, but you could just draw 2 columns on paper. First I started with why groups of ten have to go in the tens column. I used straws that came with the chart. I put 3, 5, then 9 in the chart and he counted and put the right number card in the pocket above it. Then I put 10. Well the pocket wasn't big enough to hold both the 1 and 0 card, so I said that groups of ten have to live in the tens place. We put a rubber band around them and moved them to the 10s place. We put the 1 card in the tens pocket and the 0 card in the ones pocket.

Then we put 5 and added 8 more. Well that gives you 13, so we grouped 10 and moved them over leaving 3 and placed the cards in the pockets.

I hope this helps and makes sense.

I found these ideas very helpful in teaching place value and addition with regrouping.

http://ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity/2007/10/in-which-the-gn.html This link teaches place value and that only 9 can fit in a color of a rainbow, if there are more they need to go to the next column. You could use Noah, the rainbow and the animals on the ark instead of gnomes.

The next lessons teach addition, working with re-grouping and subtraction.

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

We spent a lot of time on this and honestly I think that my dd got to that part of math before she was developmentally ready for it.

But, what finally did help her was the explanation that I found in BJU that used dimes and pennies. We would add up the pennies and trade for dimes. For about a week we worked all of our two-digit math with dimes and pennies. So for a problem like 15 + 29, I would give her one dime and five pennies for the first number and two dimes and nine pennies for the second, then let her add up the ones, trade for dimes, then add the dimes. We did the same thing with one dollar bills, dimes and pennies when we started on three digit addition. It also worked for the subtraction with borrowing.

Once she got it, she had it, but I think it would have come much faster and with less frustration if she had encountered it at a later time.

We used Legos, the 2x2 bricks specifically. I'd make some strips of ten snapped together ahead of time. Then the kid would physically act out every math problem with the Legos. That lasted for a week or so until they were confident enough to try it without the Legos.

I used the visual blocks method, too - my dd understood it but then had trouble carrying that concept into her worksheet. So what we did was...

If you can picture this - we had a tens/ones frame written around the numbers (so, you just basically draw a line between the double digit numbers so that the tens are on the left and ones on the right, line down the middle). We drew a box above the tens side, so that she knew *something* would have to go in there:)

Then, when she added the ones side and it equaled 13 (for example), I had her write 13 in the ones side. I said "can we have 13 ones in the ones side?" She said "no" - so we erased the 1 in front of the 13, and stuck it in that box over top of the tens side. We did this repeatedly for every problem, every day until she was able to drop that extra step.

I don't know if that made sense. We use BJU and they spent a lot of time on the visual aspect of it, and also doing it step by step on several pages before expecting the kids to "get it". They also had a picture of tens blocks and ones blocks - the student has to circle a set of 10 one blocks and draw an arrow over to the tens column. I think these things really helped cement the concept. BTW - my dd caught on to this quickly BUT she still struggles with which side is tens and which side is ones. I just have to remind her. It's the whole "backwards" thing that happens at this age - letters get turned backwards and she can't differentiate between left and right. I know she'll get that eventually & it's just an age thing!

Thanks for looking! I did go back and look, and I really didn't see anything besides, "add these numbers with carrying".

I'll just keep trying with the Math U See blocks, or LEGOS. My son loves them, maybe that would help!

I've been building the math problems concretely, but I don't think it's clicking for him. Even the point that the unit block represents a number...

I guess I'll just keep trying.

:)

Wee Pip,

Yes, that makes sense, that's the way Abeka does it. I guess I will just have to give him more time. He is mixing things up alot. If the number is 13, he wants to write the 1 and carry the 3. He also wants to start adding in the tens columns, since it's on the left side of the page.

While we've been working on reading, he use to read words backwards, and I would stress over and over to go left to right. He's finally just getting that and NOW, and I'm telling him to work his math right to left and I think that too is confusing him.

:confused1: