Menu

newbie from Australia

Guest joyangel75

Guest joyangel75

Hi All... not only am I new to the idea of homeschooling, I am also new to the world of forum posting!!! So all and any advice and guidence appreciated! I have a 3.5 y.o. son and 18 mth daughter.... so very early on in the picture thus far!! Finally convinced hubby that homeschooling is the path we'll take! Using fitzroy readers with son... he is loving reading! No other particular curriculum stuff as yet... he just soaks up anything we do so far - loves learning!! I also use sign language with our kids - have done so since they were babies (AUSLAN) - so guess we've got 2nd language covered too!! Looking forward to getting to know more families on here :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi and thx for the welcome... i am in northern victoria, living on the murray river!

Ah. Just a stones throw from me!

How well are your kiddies signing? I've just bought the new Time to Sign dvd for my not terribly language oriented dd2 and have high hopes for it. Like all self respecting kids, she'll look at the idiot box longer than her old mother. It's hard to sign with someone who won't look...

Rosie

• 4 weeks later...
Guest joyangel75
Hi, only just saw your thread. We are in Southern Tasmania, home educating our children aged 6, 4 and 1. I'm also a big fan of Fitzroy Readers.

Is there an Australasian members social group? Should we start one?

I just found an aussie forum... its great! check out www.rockpoolhomeschool.com

Guest joyangel75
Ah. Just a stones throw from me!

How well are your kiddies signing? I've just bought the new Time to Sign dvd for my not terribly language oriented dd2 and have high hopes for it. Like all self respecting kids, she'll look at the idiot box longer than her old mother. It's hard to sign with someone who won't look...

Rosie

lol... i teach auslan classes to other homeschooling families locally, and my 3 y o decides to help me teach now!!! he is quite good at auslan... funny though - he likes to make up his own signs.... but then he has started to make up his own words too.... so i am also learning a LOTE - 3yo speak!!!! My 1 year old signs poo, all gone, mum, milk, food... and a few others... she probably has as many signs as she does spoken words... although not all the same words! So her vocab is bigger than what it would be if we didn't sign.

lol... i teach auslan classes to other homeschooling families locally, and my 3 y o decides to help me teach now!!! he is quite good at auslan... funny though - he likes to make up his own signs.... but then he has started to make up his own words too.... so i am also learning a LOTE - 3yo speak!!!! My 1 year old signs poo, all gone, mum, milk, food... and a few others... she probably has as many signs as she does spoken words... although not all the same words! So her vocab is bigger than what it would be if we didn't sign.

Lol, it's funny what they will and won't sign. My two year old *won't* sign "poo" and I'm sure she knows it! Maybe it's too much fun to say :)

Rosie

• 4 weeks later...