Menu

Kingfisher world encyclopedia or Usborne?

mystika1

Hi,

I am looking into SOTW AG and I am trying to decide on the encyclopedia. I am not big on usborne because alot of the books read like comic books. My daughter doesn't mind this but I really don't like that format. Anyway, is the encyclopedia like that? What do you use?

Penny

We own books from both publishers. We prefer Kingfisher, in general. Usborne's page layouts are distracting, cluttered, and manic -- making us feel tense when we try to read them. For many children, this is a "plus" (the clutter, I mean). I'm not being sarcastic. A lot of children really, really like this style.

As suggested, check both a library and a bookstore -- and take your children with you to gain their input.

At bottom line, both publishers produce excellent books !

We own both as well. I love the Kingfisher, but I think the text of the Usborne is a bit better for the age of my children. My 8 year old would probably do just fine with the Kingfisher, but I think my middle son gets more out of listening to the Usborne. I'm not sure what you mean by comic-book like, but it is written with small blurbs around the page and illustrations. It does seem a bit cluttered, but not overly so for us. I also recommend seeing if your library or local bookstores have each to preview. And I agree with the pp, both publishers put out excellent books. :)

We have several Usborne books that we don't like at all. The Usborne internet linked Encyclopedia is not like their "comicy" cluttered books. We really like it. That said, it says basically the same thing as SOTW, but it is terrific for pictures. We need pictures. If I had to choose between SOTW and Usborne's, I would choose Usborne.

I haven't seen this particular edition of KingFisher. The Kingfisher Atlas of World History is very good and similar in layout to the Usborne IL Encyclopedia.

HTH

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Hi,

I am looking into SOTW AG and I am trying to decide on the encyclopedia. I am not big on usborne because alot of the books read like comic books. My daughter doesn't mind this but I really don't like that format. Anyway, is the encyclopedia like that? What do you use?

Penny

Penny,

The younger aged Usborne are comic in style. The older aged Usborne books are full color pictures, so they are quite different. Though both have those irritating bullets of info.

Kingfisher has some pictures but mostly drawings of the real thing. They are not comic in style. They are a bit better about using paragraphs instead of bullets of info. The older version is the best about having paragraph text if that is something that really bothers you.

Heather