Menu

BookIt users: How many books do you read?

Homemama2

I have an average 2nd grade reader. I'm trying to decide if I should give him an amount of books to read for bookit each month or an amount of pages (which wouldn't discourage him from reading longer books).

What do you think is an appropriate amount for this age? He doesn't like to read, so I don't want to be completely unreasonable, but at the same time I do want to challenge him. :001_smile:

We don't do the program because of allergy issues, but there are some things that I do like about it. One of these things is that the goals can be different from month to month. This allows for progression through the year.

Also, when I do set goals, I want to make sure they are attainable. I want my kids to reach the goals - but the key is REACH - a bit of a small stretch. Encourage forward movement without being unrealistic.

Can you estimate what he read last month (or last week even) and use that as a starting point? There used to be a page with 8 pizza slices on it, one slice for each book. Thus, this would be two books a week, basically. Would this be attainable easily/strenuously? Feel free to cut the page up and make your own goal sheets with the correct number of slices for your goals.

My neighbor (in ps 4th grade) is encouraged to read one book a week for the school year, for a total goal of 25 books for the year. (I know the math doesn't add up, but that's their goal.)

I won't tell you how many books a week my oldest read when she was a 2nd grader - there was no need for any kind of incentive for reading. Now she wants to read 100 books in 10 days.:lol:

Don't worry about comparing - encourage an upward movement from the starting point.

Don't worry about comparing - encourage an upward movement from the starting point.

That's what I do. For my older, I use the quizzes on bookadventure.com, and she has to earn a certain number of points by the end of the month. This ensures that she's not just skimming through but really understanding what she's reading. For my younger, I think she started with 6 books (Bob Books, she was just 4 last year), and by spring was up to 10 (not any bigger). Look at what a normal week/month would be, and start with that, then add a little more each month. For a reluctant reader, I think I'd aim for pages or minutes instead of books.

DDs ps has the kids read 15 minutes a day, 20 days a month to earn a Book-It in 2nd grade. They are not allowed to count 30 minutes in one day as 2 days (but are, of course, allowed to read 30 minutes a day).

The time approach allows them to read long or short books.

Disclaimer: offering this tidbit of info in no way indicates my support of Book-It.:thumbdown:

During my dc's short stay at ps, they also did Book-It by time, rather than number of books. 1st grader was about 15 min., 2nd grader 20 min., and 3rd grader was around 25 min. I don't know if they stayed with that amount of time through the year or upped it as the year went on. We didn't stay around long enough to find out! :lol: I wanted my babies home with me!!!! I missed them way toooo much!!! (and they missed me as well)

Thanks everyone! My friend has a dd in ps and in first grade she had to read 15 books per month (picture books etc), and I was thinking I was not doing enough. I like the idea of a set amount of time for a set amount of days. That would work well no matter what books he was reading.

I haven't gotten my packet of stuff yet---just trying to figure out what I'm doing before it comes. :001_smile: