Menu

Does anyone have suggestions for this Oregon HS mom?

HSMom2One

I belong to a HS support organization here in our state, and all members received this plea for help today. I don't have the experience to base any suggestions on, so I thought I'd put it up for comment and feedback from the hive. Does anyone have a suggestion I can pass on to the op?

I Have a question I hope someone can answer or direct me to someone who can help.

My 17 yr old daughter was homeschooled for 4 years, grades 6-9. I did all the paperwork for the state of OR & the (local) Sch district, and had the state testing done every year. She went back to public school as a sophmore and she is now a Sr. I have been informed by the HS that they will not honor her 9th grade credits, therefore she does not have enough credits to graduate with her class.

They have come up with a plan for her to go to nite classes to make up the additional credits, but I feel we are being chastised for homeschooling her and ultimately being punished by school district.

Is there anywhere I can turn to get some help regarding this?

Blessings,

Lucinda

Similar in our state.

It's just the way it is here.

Folks just stop going to high school without graduating and move on to college at the appropriate time.

So to help your friend, what is her goal?

If she wants a diploma at that PS, she has to play by their rules.

She can get a diploma from somewhere else.

Or she can just get no diploma.

Kind of depends on what her goals are as to how to "help" her or make suggestions.

:seeya:

Edited by Moni

Pull her out of public school and graduate her yourself. This happens in a lot of places. Kids either go to high school all the way, or just don't graduate.

Here in Florida, homeschooled kids can do dual enrollment at college. By the time they're of high school graduation age, they already have an associate's degree. Who needs a high school degree then?

Another option is to have her sit for the GED exam. If your state's GED exam is anything like Florida's, an eighth grader can pass it. Sad but true. That's why we homescool.

That's incredible that they are just telling her this today. It's how it is in our district, though, which is why if you want the option of going back, you have to have approved credits through somewhere.

I'd appeal to the fact that I wasn't told this when she reentered.

I think it's a bit funny that you can CLEP for college credits and nothing for high school.

Carrie:-)

This should have been addressed prior to the student enrolling in the public school. Although the parents should have known to investigate this potential (probable) obstacle, the school administration bears ultimate responsibility for not addressing the issue prior to enrollment. The school rightly deserves censure !

Every public school district has the right to set its own requirements for accepting transfer students. (This student was a "transfer student" from homeschooling.) A school district also retains the right to reject any and all course credits issued by a home school. This may sound punitive -- and in many cases, it IS outright, unjustifiably punitive. Nonetheless, this is the only way that a school district -- which, in theory [cough] maintains a reputation, a "reputation" tied to testing scores and federal/state dollars -- can justify the issuing of a diploma, which "certifies" that a set body of educational standards have been met to the satisfaction of the state.

High school, for the homeschooler, is pretty much an "all or nothing" proposition.

Radical as it sounds, if I were the parents of this Oregon high school student, I would unenroll her immediately and have her complete her high school education as a homeschooler.

P.S. I decided to add as postscript that people often forget that 9th grade is part of high school, particularly when the 9th grade is at a different campus from the 10th-12th grades' campus. When I was in school, "junior high school" served grades 7-9. "High school" served grades 10-12. For administrative purposes, however, 9th grade technically was part of high school. During the spring semester of our 8th grade year, all the students were lectured firmly about how our grades received, beginning in the 9th grade, would be entered into a "Permanent Record Card", and would be part of the grades used to calculate our eventual high school standing. We were -- we thought ! -- terrorized in advance about the importance of grades.

. . . all stated because possibly -- ? ? -- this family did not realize that 9th grade is part of high school.

STILL does not excuse the school administration for its mucking up so badly.

Edited by Orthodox6

Similar in our state.

It's just the way it is here.

Folks just stop going to high school without graduating and move on to college at the appropriate time.

So to help your friend, what is her goal?

If she wants a diploma at that PS, she has to play by their rules.

She can get a diploma from somewhere else.

Or she can just get no diploma.

Kind of depends on what her goals are as to how to "help" her or make suggestions.

:seeya:

Since I am posting for someone I don't know, I cannot answer that question. I will be forwarding this thread to her later today though, so perhaps she can give me more information at that time.

Thanks everyone! Any other suggestions?

Blessings,

Lucinda

I belong to a HS support organization here in our state, and all members received this plea for help today. I don't have the experience to base any suggestions on, so I thought I'd put it up for comment and feedback from the hive. Does anyone have a suggestion I can pass on to the op?

Blessings,

Lucinda

Lucinda,

I would love to know which school is pulling this. I would also try to start a grass roots campaign to inform other hsers. It seems to me the mother went above and beyond. We are not required to test every year here, only at the end of 3rd, 5th, 8th and 10th grades. If the school district realizes they will get bad publicity they may relent.

Heather