Menu

How do you evaluate and assign grades if using a non-textbook history curriculum?

We are using all sorts of resources for world history -- Omnibus selections, videos, fiction, biographies, etc.

I know for the Omnibus selections I can assign some of their suggested essays. What are other options for evaluating and assigning grades? I have the book How You Know They Know What They Know, and it has some good ideas, but it seems geared mostly for younger students.

We do great with "input" but not so great with "output".

Well, I organize mine this way:

Reading 10%

Maps 10%

Timeline 10%

Questions 20%

Discussion 20 %

Tests 30 %

It is all so subjective. Here are things you can take grades on: essays, questions, discussion, video guides, etc. Basically you should have at least some kind of written thing you can grade each week: questions, maps, narration or what they read, essay, etc. Notebook page.

I hope that helps some.

Christine

I'm thinking about our SCA competitions and the documentation required. There's not *so* much writing required, but there can be a lot of research needed. If you don't mind doing history in a hands on way, that might work. For example, to join the Cooks guild I had to find a medieval recipe online, try it out a few times and fiddle around with it until I could write it up like a modern recipe, then get feedback from others. I also had to note down any alterations I made, such as using pre-made lasagne sheets instead of making them from scratch. People do the same sort of thing with other arts and crafts as well. Here's an example: http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/yourgarb/2008/Caterucia.htm

Rosie

We are using all sorts of resources for world history -- Omnibus selections, videos, fiction, biographies, etc.

I know for the Omnibus selections I can assign some of their suggested essays. What are other options for evaluating and assigning grades? I have the book How You Know They Know What They Know, and it has some good ideas, but it seems geared mostly for younger students.

We do great with "input" but not so great with "output".

I use a textbook, but the tests are all short essay. In the front of each chapter in many of the texts, there is a listing of questions or "Things we will learn in this chapter" that can be used as short essays for a chapter test. We do this in World History (Spielvogel's Human Odyssey) and American History (Boorstin's high school text, History of the United States). We also do the reviews after each day's reading.

I like grading these tests...I read their answers out loud and then we discuss it. Sometimes I don't know enough about the question, so I have them explain it to me. Other times I ask them to expand on their answer. I give each essay a letter grade and then average them for the final test grade. I think it is usually quite easy to tell if it is an A, B, or C grade.

Just giving you some ideas for more options.

Jean

Edited by Jean in Wisc

At the end of the year, I have them study for the CLEP for a few weeks. Whatever they get on that determines their grade. They get college credit and I have something to back up my grade. This way we enjoy our discussions, readings, and papers throughout the year without the pressure of grading. And I can sleep in peace knowing we didn't leave any of those dreaded "gaping holes".