Menu

WWYD regard spelling levels for advanced Gr3 and trailing Gr5

Stacey in MA

Hi all -

Just wondering your opinions on this. My 7yo 3rd grader (young already for grade 3) is an excellent reader, and so working through Spelling Workout C is easy for her. When I quiz her she always get the words right. It seems like it's boring for her too. BUT, she doesn't like the frustration of new material (personality thing), AND I'm afraid that b/c she's such a good reader that she's getting these words b/c of sight memory, or having seen the words and internalized them, but not truely understanding how or why they are spelled that way. For that reason, I am inclined to stick w/ Level C. Still, sometimes it seems like we're spinning our wheels with it. Should I bump her up to D?

And now for my 5th grader. Always has been a poor speller. We took a break from formal spelling program last year (my fault - it slipped and slipped and never got attention). Now I have him in Spelling Workout Level F (as recommended in WTM - supposed to get through F and some of G). But he is struggling. It is painfully obvious to me that he is deficient in spelling. Should I stick with it since it's grade level? or back him up a level or two? I'm just not sure where to go with him. He's right on grade level with most other things, including reading and such. He's done great with math, science, maps, history, etc. I'm not worried "in general" about his learning, but just his horrible spelling. What should I do with him? (FWIW, my husband has an issue "spelling in the air".... I can't spell words for him. He must see them written out. This is a man w/ a PhD in Physics. So perhaps my DS inherited some challenge? Doesn't really matter - we work with what we get, right?)

Thanks for your thoughts!

- Stacey in MA

There are days when I can really "do spelling", but other days I don't have time (4 kids), and I have to simply say "go do your spelling workbook". KWIM? I don't dislike Spelling Workout, though I've heard great things here on the board about All About Spelling and have considered giving it a try sometime. But what I'm wondering is more about whether or not to push a child who could actually grasp the higher level (though may not have the maturity for the added frustration of something that actually challenges her!), and wondering if I should actually truely put my DS10 down a level or two in spelling, or continue to plug through what we have just making sure he "gets" it from this point on....?

Thanks for the note.....

- Stacey in MA

We use Spelling Workout, but I almost went with Spelling Power. For your situation, it sounds ideal. You test your child to see which level they start on, then you give them a list to spell. The list is based on a spelling rule. There are X amount of spelling rules (I'm not sure exactly how many) and each level works with the same rule, but the words used to illustrate that rule grow more and more challenging for each level.

The child only studies 5 (or less) words each day. It really is easy to implement, teaches the spelling rules, and is individually leveled.

You can teach other things about spelling/writing (like how to divide syllables) that Spelling Workout covers by using a roots program or within your grammar/writing program.

ETA: Ah, I see we posted at the same time!

Could they quiz each other?

I would go down for the older child but leave the younger where she is. My dd can spell all the words (with maybe a couple of exceptions) in Spelling Workout E, but she doesn't know the rules very well, so I'm opting for keeping the words easier and making her articulate the rules.

Edited by Chris in VA
posted at the same time

I have a similar situation with my older dd that you have with yours. She is a marvelous speller. I decided to keep going through the SWO series with her for some of the word exercises. They really start to make you think and she finds that part of it challenging (she's 1/2 way through D). I do too some days:lol: (mostly with alternate meanings for words). She also likes getting 100% most of the time. BTW she tested into level I of Spelling Power, FWIW.

HTH