Menu

Has anyone heard about this "I Am What I Learn" contest??

I just clicked on a link to see what the DOE had sent to schools for the lesson plans to go w/the president's speech and read about it. It sounds interesting!

Here's a link to the info.

It's for students age 13 and over. My dc are too young but I wonder if homeschoolers can enter the contest. The prize is $1000. The website says there will be more info available starting tomorrow. Here's an excerpt from the website:

To further encourage student engagement, the U.S. Department of Education is launching the "I Am What I Learn" video contest. On September 8, we will invite students to respond to the president’s challenge by creating videos, up to two minutes in length, describing the steps they will take to improve their education and the role education will play in fulfilling their dreams.

We invite all students age 13 and older to create and upload their videos to YouTube by October 8. Submissions can be in the form of video blogs, public service announcements (PSAs), music videos, or documentaries. Students are encouraged to have fun and be creative with this project! The general public will then vote on their favorites to determine the top 20 finalists. These 20 videos will be reviewed by a panel of judges including U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. The panel will choose three winners, each of whom will receive a $1,000 cash prize.

Starting this Friday, you can visit www.ed.gov/iamwhatilearn to find out more.

Has the Fed gov't ever directed curriculum to the states before 9/8/09? Doesn't this fall outside of the act which created the DoE?

Sorry, but that's not the topic of my post. I guess I should have worded my initial post differently.

I wanted to let others know about this contest. :D

Has the Fed gov't ever directed curriculum to the states before 9/8/09? Doesn't this fall outside of the act which created the DoE?

This isn't directing curriculum; it's merely a contest that one can choose to enter, or not. It's not at all unusual for government to sponsor contests, scholarships, and so forth.