Menu

Dental post: Root planing and scaling, this is different from my other ques...

Well, my DH is currently going through this (his 4th - and last - appointment is tomorrow morning), and he has been shocked by how painful it has been. All three previous appointments have triggered migraines, and he is still in agony whenever he eats anything salty or with honey (I know that salt is conductive, not sure why the honey is a problem). His teeth are just hyper hyper sensitive and he says it's like having a simultaneous toothache in every tooth.

Not very encouraging, I'm afraid! DH wishes someone had told him in advance how bad it would be. :ack2:

Jackie

It wasn't half as bad as I had imagined, honestly. I was given novacaine, and didn't feel anything when I was being worked on. Afterwords, I only needed Advil. I really had little discomfort after. You should know that I am a total dental-phobic and was dreading this. It turned out to be nothing. HTH!

Nan

Wow! Two way different experiences! Yikes! Anyone else to add to either side? Tell me the truth. I haven't started yet (and not sure I'm going to), but it is being advised that I do it and I really don't want to do it. :scared:

I'm not being ignorant. I am doing an alternative treatment for the moment using the Thieves toothpaste and mouthwash from Young Living. I've also been told to use the Thieves oil on my gums. I haven't done that as diligently, but I will. Anyone heard of experiences using Thieves products? I go back to the dentist in Oct. and I'm looking forward to hearing anything from him that says things have improved. I love experiments!

I did it a few weeks back. The dentist put a numbing cream...so I didnt feel any pain at all?? After, they gave us a medicated mouthwash and that was it. We go back every 3 months to make sure all is well and floss everyday! That is the key!! Mine didnt do any numbing shots or anything like that. It is just like a deep cleaning.

Those of you who had it done fairly painlessly ~ was it done manually or ultrasonically? The hygienist who worked on DH used ultrasound, and it left his teeth hypersensitive to heat and cold. Also if he eats anything salty, the electrolytic effect is like someone running an electrical current to all his teeth. I wonder if the hygienist was just way too aggressive???

Jackie