Menu

Independent Grammar Program for 5/6 grade???

jen210

We loved Winston but are not ready for Winston Advanced. I have tried Shurley last year (finished 1/2 of a book) and was going to finish the rest this year but am falling into the same problem. We don't like it! I need a fairly independent grammar program because I just cannot do one more teacher intensive subject. What are your suggestions? My two boys are 5/6 grade.

Thanks in advance,

Jennifer

I love Analytical Grammar. It's intended for 6th-7th-8th. I do not find it teacher intensive (we used Shurley 5). I spend approximately 15min on Sunday night reading over the lesson to make sure I understand it. I spend 15min on Monday morning going over the lesson with ds. The rest of the week ds can work independently. I check over his work and discuss errors. You may read my review in this thread.

They also have Junior Analytical Grammar for 4th or 5th.

This is not a well-known grammar program, but I found it to be an excellent program for the age range of your dc. My dd used Vol 1 last year for 5th and did it mostly on her own. There are flashcards you can purchase to go with it. My dd also added other flashcards to help her. It covers all the parts of speech thoroughly. Students not only diagram but also parse the sentences for part of speech and function. You can check it out at www.summerbookcompany.com or see other samples at http://www.rainbowresource.com . By the way, it only costs around $15 for the student book and answer key.

Jennifer

We loved Winston but are not ready for Winston Advanced. I have tried Shurley last year (finished 1/2 of a book) and was going to finish the rest this year but am falling into the same problem. We don't like it! I need a fairly independent grammar program because I just cannot do one more teacher intensive subject. What are your suggestions? My two boys are 5/6 grade.

Thanks in advance,

Jennifer

My 4th grader is doing Hake Grammar independently (he tells me his answers orally because of writing issues, but he reads the lessons by himself--I rarely have to explain anything) and my 5th grader is doing Rod & Staff English independently.

Easy Grammar can be done independently, *as long as* you correct each page before the dc go on to the next. And I do mean that *you* need to make the corrections. There are many parents who found out that their dc were making many mistakes but claiming that they were doing just fine, such that when the parents discovered what was going on, the dc had to go back almost to the beginning and start over.

Thank you, ladies. To be honest, I'm a little confused. Both boys really understand grammar, can do the question/answer flow and could do the Winston Grammar cards the year before last with ease. I feel like we need something to just keep everything fresh in their minds and introduce a few new concepts each year. Is this reasonable for me to expect?

Jennifer