Menu

Singapore Math HIGs: Necessary or not?

Sue G in PA

We've been using Singapore for a year now and I have not used the HIGs at all. Recently I'm wondering if i am missing something by not using them? I am a mathy type person and "get" math and can teach it...but am not very creative when it comes to using manipulatives or games, kwim? Would the HIGs be helpful to me? Ds8 is on 1B, moving quickly to 2A. He still doesn't have his facts down cold and must use fingers or manipulatives for addition and subtraction.

I'm also a more mathy/sciency person. I would say it's not necessary to have the HIG's to teach Singapore math. However, I use mine everyweek because there are lots of game ideas and different ways of presenting a concept in the HIG. I find it very useful to have on hand, but if money was tight I wouldn't purchase them. Clear as muddy water?

I don't have a problem teaching math either and I don't use them word for word but I do like the HIG that goes with the Standard Edition. I like the games, ideas for hands on presentation, when they feel certain math facts should be known by with the mental math, and the schedule. I am not a schedule person but it helps me to get an idea of how much time I would spend on a given topic and is nice for planning and coordinating in the EP when I want to.

We've been using Singapore for a year now and I have not used the HIGs at all. Recently I'm wondering if i am missing something by not using them? I am a mathy type person and "get" math and can teach it...but am not very creative when it comes to using manipulatives or games, kwim? Would the HIGs be helpful to me? Ds8 is on 1B, moving quickly to 2A. He still doesn't have his facts down cold and must use fingers or manipulatives for addition and subtraction.

I like having them just for the answers. Though I don't have the level 1 books, I do have all the 2 and up. They also have practice sheets for math facts.

Heather