Menu

amazon marketplace problem resolution

I ordered some algebra materials from 3 different amazon marketplace merchants. One parcel arrived two weeks ago, no sign of the other two items.

Is there some sort of resolution process with amazon marketplace merchants & how long do you think I should wait before initiating a request for a refund?

Anyone btdt?

I'm so bummed :( (this is the chalkdust material which you can get for less than at chalkdust; I've got the text but no vids & no solutions :( )

Contact the seller first. I know Alibris and Abebooks state how long things should take to arrive; I can't remember if Amazon does. Anyway, once it's past a certain amount of time, you usually get an automatic refund, unless the seller has delivery confirmation or something to show it was actually received. I've had zero problems with all these third-party seller overseeing services' protection policies.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=537868

I just did this. I ordered 2 books from the same seller that were supposed to be "like-new," but came in what I wouldn't consider even usable condition (one had the cover ripped from the spine!). Amazon asks that you email the seller first and give them 3 days to respond. Assuming they don't, you can then file for the guarantee. I got my money back 2 weeks after I filed with them. I didn't have to pay to send the books back or anything. The only trick in the fine print is there's a forever limit on them covering you - they only cover 5 marketplace purchases for the life of your account. After that, they won't cover anything.

Having said that, I've had a few issues with sellers before (I buy from the marketplace a LOT) and this is the first time I haven't been able to work it out with the seller. So give the seller a try and if they won't, you should definitely get your money back (inc. shipping).

ETA: Amazon won't let you file till you're outside of the delivery window they give you if it's for a missing item. And I've had it take almost a month to get something since they usually send it book-rate. So if you're still in your delivery window, the only thing you're going to be able to do is wait...

I looked in amazon's help pages and this is what they tell the seller to do if a buyer does not receive their order:

Work with the buyer to reach a mutually agreeable solution in regard to this transaction. How you decide to proceed is ultimately determined by you and your customer service policy, but all sellers are expected to demonstrate a high level of customer service.

Your options include:

• Refunding the buyer. This is generally the most customer-friendly resolution. If the order eventually arrives, Amazon.com can recharge the customer with their explicit authorization.
  • Shipping or drop-shipping the order at your cost. While this may be a financial loss for your business, it is generally a customer-friendly solution.
  • Asking the buyer to wait a bit longer for their order to arrive. If you choose this option, please be aware that the buyer may file an A-to-z Guarantee claim. See Respond to an A-to-z Guarantee Claim for more information.

This is what Amazon tells the sellers about A to Z claims and credit card chargebacks:

When a customer files an A-to-z Guarantee claim or a chargeback with their credit card company, Amazon.com will contact the seller to request additional information about the transaction. Though these claims may appear similar, there are several key differences between guarantee claims and chargebacks.

For instance, customers are working directly with their credit card companies when they file a chargeback. Customers can file a chargeback with their credit card company at any time, from one day after the transaction has taken place to months later. Sellers are responsible for service chargebacks. Though Amazon.com does request information in the process of investigating a chargeback, the final outcome of a chargeback request will be determined by the customer's financial institution.

When a customer files an A-to-z Guarantee claim, they are dealing directly with Amazon.com. Customers can only file a claim within a specific timeframe, and the decision about whether to grant a claim is made by Amazon.com. We encourage customers to file A-to-z Guarantee claims rather than chargebacks, but ultimately it's the customer's decision how to proceed.

The only trick in the fine print is there's a forever limit on them covering you - they only cover 5 marketplace purchases for the life of your account. After that, they won't cover anything.

!!! Wow. I never realized that. That gives me pause.

I have had several complaints and resolutions with other websites (alibris / abebooks), but none with Amazon. But I have to say that most sellers tend to offer a refund or partial refund pretty quickly.

!!! Wow. I never realized that. That gives me pause.

I have had several complaints and resolutions with other websites (alibris / abebooks), but none with Amazon. But I have to say that most sellers tend to offer a refund or partial refund pretty quickly.

Yeah, you're telling me! LOL!

"Buyers are limited to a lifetime maximum of five claims for purchases from Amazon Marketplace or Merchant seller on the Amazon.com website."

From: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=537868what

Thanks -- I looked it up and saw that. That being said, I've managed to get the seller to refund the money on their own, without having to involve the website that has the guarantee (e.g. abebooks), so I'd try that route first. I think you give the seller a chance to do the right thing, too.