Menu

Switching curriculum???

mom2koh

OK. So we have been using HOD Beyond for the past 4 weeks and I'm struggling so much. I don't look forward to school. Then DD dragged her feet on getting things done the other day, to the point I just packed it up and called it a day!

My dh will have a fit if I spend anymore $$ on curriculum. I do have a couple of FIAR manuals. So do I use those? We "rowed" some stories over the summer and had fun. But, I am nervous they are not going to be enough?!

Or do you think RS Math, RSO, Progressive Phonics, Handwriting, and some real books for history would be enough? I've been using poetry and bible excerpts as copywork. Would we be covering everything? We could use the reading list from FIAR for read alouds.

I'm so :confused:

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

Or do you think RS Math, RSO, Progressive Phonics, Handwriting, and some real books for history would be enough? I've been using poetry and bible excerpts as copywork. Would we be covering everything? We could use the reading list from FIAR for read alouds.

I think that this absolutely sounds like enough for a 5.5 year old! Give yourself a break and a hug. :-)

IMHO, yes the others would be enough! She's only 5, so you want to keep things light enough that she enjoys it, yet learns from it!

I don't know how HOD works. Can you just back off of that for awhile, do the other things, and come back to that later? If you want to completely get rid of it, you could sell it on the For Sale board here. That way your dh would feel better about it! :)

I dropped Beyond after four weeks last year with my son who was 5.5 at the time. He was capable of the work but not mature enough. I did continue with the emergent reader set, spelling, Singapore math, copywork - which ended up being many different things throughout the year, read alouds, and animal studies. I have been very happy with my decision. This year my son would be ready for the bigger manual but we are doing our own thing - taking a trek around the world. My son now is a first grader and doing wonderfully.

I think you drop Beyond and still have a great year of learning without spending more money. Continue with reading, math, copywork, read alouds and add in other studies as you see fit. Row some books with FAIR. Have fun. If you feel you need more structure in a few months try Beyond again then. Your daughter is young learning should be fun and not a chore. I think you need to focus on reading, writing, and math everything else is extra she will get it all again later in her learning career.

It sounds like you have plenty with what you have mentioned. At this age, it is all you need! Give both of you a break and use the other HOD or FIAR materials as you see fit, when and if you want to. The only thing I see missing is narration - just pause once in a while and ask a question or two, or ask a few questions at the end of the story. You can also enjoy more time for nature study and plain old creative play, so important at this age!

We used Sonlight preK for my youngest ds's K year (many K-1 materials IMO), and didn't get through all the read-alouds - we are still enjoying pulling them out, one at a time, as we can. He has also matured enough that he can enjoy listening much more than he could at just 5 - and can narrate more easily as well.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling 1, 3, 3 and 6

(and just brought one to college today, sniff!)

FIAR will be plenty for your dd - she's only 5. Stick with it, plus Bible, math, and phonics/handwriting/copywork.

You're going to do fine. Get the foundational things in (character and the 3 R's). FIAR will build a love for learning and is also a wonderful way to help her remember different things she's learned.

As you are rowing, I would suggest that you find short books (or some other visual aid) to help with the FIAR history and science topics, then get some good literature for read-alouds. If you check the FIAR boards, you'll find suggested read-alouds that go with different FIAR units.

Blessings,

Laura

I dropped Beyond after four weeks last year with my son who was 5.5 at the time. He was capable of the work but not mature enough. I did continue with the emergent reader set, spelling, Singapore math, copywork - which ended up being many different things throughout the year, read alouds, and animal studies. I have been very happy with my decision. This year my son would be ready for the bigger manual but we are doing our own thing - taking a trek around the world. My son now is a first grader and doing wonderfully.

I think you drop Beyond and still have a great year of learning without spending more money. Continue with reading, math, copywork, read alouds and add in other studies as you see fit. Row some books with FAIR. Have fun. If you feel you need more structure in a few months try Beyond again then. Your daughter is young learning should be fun and not a chore. I think you need to focus on reading, writing, and math everything else is extra she will get it all again later in her learning career.

I agree. Beyond is geared toward 6-8 year old so like a PP mentioned she might be ready for it skill wise but not maturity wise. I would drop it for now and concentrate on the basics and maybe try coming back to it later to see how it works for you then before totally giving up on it. I am using it with my 6 & 7yo ds' and there are some things I don't think my 6yo is quite ready for some of it (such as spelling) since he still needs to focus on his handwriting and phonics skills, so I modify it for him. FIAR is a sweet program that I used with my oldest dd when she was in 1st grade and I think it would be perfect for your dd right now plus the other basics that you have listed. Take a deep breath and relax you will do fine!

FIAR will be plenty for your dd - she's only 5. Stick with it, plus Bible, math, and phonics/handwriting/copywork.

You're going to do fine. Get the foundational things in (character and the 3 R's). FIAR will build a love for learning and is also a wonderful way to help her remember different things she's learned.

As you are rowing, I would suggest that you find short books (or some other visual aid) to help with the FIAR history and science topics, then get some good literature for read-alouds. If you check the FIAR boards, you'll find suggested read-alouds that go with different FIAR units.

Blessings,

Laura

:iagree:To me, having them love learning, and love reading was my main priority in the beginning. So, we didn't really do any "set" curriculum. The main thing was getting the basics in with tons of reading aloud. Now, ds (5 1/2) is reading almost as well as ds, and I didn't do heavy duty phonics with him at all. He just picked it up from her, but loved listening to the read alouds.

Don't put the pressure on yourself-you'll do great.:grouphug:

Looks like you have plenty for Kindergarten. My K students usually do about 1hr. of school. 20minutes of Phonics, 20 minutes of math and 10 handwriting practice. Everything else is considered gravy.

We don't call read aloud, history or science school. They are the fun subjects. We used Sonlight for the younger years and again it didn't seem like school at all. HOD is literature rich too and has lots of good books. I believe you can get away with it. Just don't make it 'look' like your doing school but decided to pull a book from the shelf and read

If you are doing Beyond Little Hearts; that one is geared toward 6-8 years. I would either #1. stretch it out over two years and add library books and go on bunny trails, #2. stick with FAIR this year or #3. just use the library and read lots of good books.

I'm so :confused:

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

My son will be in 3rd grade, or close to it, before he starts Beyond. Your child is so young! When my boys were that age, we only did things they enjoyed and wanted to do. My only "requirements" were that they listened to me read aloud everyday and worked on their letters & phonics most days. I read alot of read-alouds, we looked at picture books, did simple science experiments, took nature walks and worked on simple math. At this age, you can find so many wonderful things at the public library.

If you just do not like Beyond and don't think you'll change your mind about that, send me a PM. I may be able to buy some of your items. Since my son is in 2nd grade, he is zooming through Little Hearts and we'll need Beyond before next fall. In fact, I plan to go ahead and buy atleast the TM in the next week or so.

:) Thanks ya'll! You guys are great and supportive!

I used beyond because dd is reading and able to read the emergent readers that are scheduled in the beginning. I even talked to Carrie at the booth at our expo. She placed us based on dds skills. I was so excitied.

I think we'll cover the three r's as per WTM and do some FIAR and see which trail that will lead us down.

Most of all I am going to remind myself to :chillpill:;). Even though she loves doing her "school" she's still my baby girl! I'm going to remember to enjoy that.

I tried placing Emily according to her reading level. I had to learn that she is always way up there in her reading ability and the placement is always way off if I do that. She needs more maturity to handle the other work involved. (Plus she hates read alouds, so I pretty much have to have her read those on her own. That evens it up quite a bit.)