Menu

The Space Shuttle at night was amazing!

We woke the dc up just before midnight last night and went out to watch the Space Shuttle take off. What an awesome sight it is at night! As soon as the engines came on on TV, we went outside. Through the trees you could see this tremendous orange glow. After a few seconds the shuttle appeared and we watched it for several minutes. We got to see the separation of the rockets and everything - it was so clear! After another little while you could start to hear the rumbles (like rolling thunder.) It gave us a good time to talk about the differences in the speed of light and sound.

I don't know that I will ever get tired of watching it go up!

Lucky!!! The kids and I tried to see it as well. We were watching the "live" feed on the NASA's website so we'd know when to go outside. Well, afterwards we found out (from my parents) that NASA's "live" feed online was two minutes behind! So when we went outside, it was already far enough up that it only looked like an airplane moving through the sky. UGH!!! My parents were watching both the online countdown as well as the one on TV. The one on TV was correct. Thanks NASA! My two little ones were disappointed. :glare:

I love night launches!!

I couldn't stay up last night - but we have yet to see it up here. :( A friend of mine had press viewing tickets, so i'm anxious to see his pictures (or afraid to ask if he was able to make it out last night - he travels for work and i didn't want to ask if that mucked him up - it did the last one! LOL!!).

But i could watch night launches every week if they'd cooperate ;)

We watched it on TV. I'll never forget the ones we saw in person when we lived in FL - both from our backyard and from KSC. Night launches are my favorite. I heard that last night's was potentially the last... pending one they have scheduled for 'pre-dawn' in Feb. The few others left are all day launches.

I'm going to be sad to have the era of manned rocket launches in the US end...

We actually went to Titusville to watch it!! We were 12 miles away right on the sea wall across from the launch pad. It was incredible!! I am so glad that we went. It was the first time my kids see had seen the shuttle at all (I don't know why I never paid attention to get them outside to see launches in the past.) and the first time for me to see one so close!!

It was amazing thinking about the astronauts inside heading into space as the light got dimmer and dimmer . . .

We watched it on TV. I'll never forget the ones we saw in person when we lived in FL - both from our backyard and from KSC. Night launches are my favorite. I heard that last night's was potentially the last... pending one they have scheduled for 'pre-dawn' in Feb. The few others left are all day launches.

I'm going to be sad to have the era of manned rocket launches in the US end...

Can you link me to some info? I knew they were doing away with the Space Shuttles, but I didn't know they intended to end manned launches all together.

I'm so jealous that you got to see it!! We were at Cape Canaveral in January and happened to be at NASA the day there was a rocket launch. AND we got to see the shuttle on the launch pad. It was a VERY exciting day as my son wants to work for NASA one day. We could see and FEEL the launch from our hotel. It was AMAZING!!! I can only imagine seeing the shuttle going off!