Menu

Kindergarten "extras"

BikeBookBread

Okay, we are doing pretty basic Kinder (as you can see below in my signature). What extra stuff does every kindergartner need/is fun to know or do? Here are a few things that I thought of off of the top of my head. Any other suggestions?

• how to tie a shoe
  • pour liquid from a pitcher into a glass
  • pouring cereal from a box
  • cutting out paper dolls
  • braiding
  • finger painting
  • go to a big natural history museum

PS -- if this topic has already been discussed, would you link to the thread? I searched but couldn't find anything...

Edited by BikeBookBread

My ds6 is enjoying learning to type. I really just let him do it when he wants to & he's quite good at it!

I'm new to the forum and just started K-1 with DS5 and he too loves typing! I let him do it on my computer so he's also learning mouse skills along with the keyboard....he just loves typing his name and small words by finding the letters on the keyboard and watching them appear on the "paper" on the screen and then getting to print when he's done!

Other things DS really enjoys - going out at night to see the moon and stars, which DH and I help him identify and point out constellations too, and he likes now pointing out to us what phase the moon is in and things like Jupiter or Mars on a clear night!

He is also very interested in helping cook....likes to be the one to put things in a bowl if we're making a recipe, stirring it, and such....we're now at a point where he'll pour something like milk into the measuring cup and carefully watch as he pours so it's one cup type things too.

I second (or third) cooking. My dd loves being able to make her own breakfast or lunch. We do some things together (like baking cookies or bread) but what she likes best are meals she can do all by herself (pb and j, mac and cheese--yep, and scrambled eggs. All supervised of course.)

Also, household independence skills, like laundry (seperating and folding) dusting, and setting/clearing the table properly. Beginnings too, of proper knife safety and cutting. (no super sharp butcher knives, but butter knives and bananas type stuff.)

And making whistles out of blades of grass, tying knots, making flower fairies/dolls from large blossoms, floating walnut shell boats, and identifying toads. Just in case you all thought I worked the kids too hard...:lol:

For K ideas for the extras I have used: What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know and the Worldbook Typical Course of Study list. You can cover the things as easily as reading to your dc from the What Your K.. book, or make fun units or themes from the ideas when you want something new to learn.

Fun things we will be doing this year: finger knitting, orchestra study (learning about all the different instruments and being able to identify by sound), simple cooking projects. We may also try weaving and very simple sewing.

I have never heard of finger knitting until your post. HOW COOL! I knit and my DD wants to do it badly, but doesn't have the dexterity for it yet. This may be an option. I pulled it on youtube and it looks like great fun!

Thanks for sharing!

Those kinds of things we just did as our lifestyle and circumstances presented it.

For K we just do Reading and Copywork (no math until 1st grade, and only math facts, no books)

Piano lessons are the only thing that come to mind.

:seeya: