Menu

So Frustrated Re: BJU Online Learning

Hockey Mom

We are new to all of this. I researched and read everything I could find on homeschooling: which method of learning would my kids get the most from, which program would fit their learning styles, what kind of schedule did we want to have, etc. BJU Online learning appeared to fit the bill. We chose online vs. DVD/Hard Drive because I liked the idea of being able to "plug in" no matter where we were, and because I didn't have to be responsible for any additional equipment.

Well, we started school August 17th. Two happy, excited little guys, ready to go! The first day went well. They loved it. I loved it. We were really happy with our choice.

Day two, things started going downhill. From about 10am-11am EST every day, suddenly the lessons would freeze/buffer/freeze/buffer.

Since my Dh is a tech guru, I had him look things over to see if the problem was on our end. Nope. Called the ISP, and everything is working fine on their end too. Did a router ping from our PCs to their server, and found the connection gets hung up somewhere in Washington and times out. Dh did this ping with BJU tech support on the line and they tried to tell us that it's our ISP. It's not. That's complete crap. Then the tech support slips up and says that they've had these problems for people on the west coast (we're on the east coast). Ok...so if it's a problem with OUR ISP, why are people in California having the same exact problem????

Anyway, nothing is resolved. My boys hate homeschooling now. They can't make it through ONE video without it freezing up. My oldest is reduced to tears of frustration because he just wants to learn what the teacher is teaching him. My kindy-kid has tuned out completely. He just stares off into space, doodles on his pencil box, etc.

I can't even print off a TM because they've secured them and the only way I can even read it is to carry my computer around with me. Which doesn't exactly work. I've made it work today because my DS1 was so upset, but it's not a realistic solution.

BJU tech support tells me the only other option is for us to upgrade to the Hard Drive/DVD option. Nevermind that we've already dished out a boatload of money already. I'm supposed to dish out at least another $100 just to get a program that works. I don't have an extra $100 right now.

This homeschooling thing has really backfired on me. And the worst part is seeing my kids go from excited about our homeschooling adventure to absolutely hating it. To the point of tears of frustration. It ruins our whole day. I'm just at a loss right now.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Wow, that really stinks for you - I am so sorry you are having to go through this!!

I honestly would see what cancellation policy they have and if they aren't willing to work with you, consider disputing the charge through your credit card - this service is "Not As Described"! There are other avenues to take that are probably less expensive (I have no idea what BJU Online costs but I'm betting other "low tech" curriculum can be had cheaper). I would probably cease my homeschooling, take a two week break or whatever (with just lots of reading still) until you can regroup and start fresh. The frustration that you and your kids are experiencing need to stop and get a new beginning.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing :grouphug:

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. We use the DVDs for one subject and have been pleased. However, I feel that BJUP is too hard-line about their policies. They don't tend to give the customer the benefit of the doubt.

I would let them know that you want them to upgrade you to DVDs at no extra charge, or you'll dispute the charges on your credit card *and* make sure every other homeschooler you know hears about your experience. They should willingly accomodate you, after all you've had to go through because of their negligence.

Keep on them about a free upgrade to DVDs. Let them know you plan to dispute the charge and go ahead and do it - it's not your fault it's on overload. This is the kind of stuff you can't test without a full load on your servers.

The content is good though and I feel worth it, so push for the DVDs.

:grouphug:

I too would phone BJU and kindly and respectfully tell them that your kids are HATING their school due to the online option issues you are experiencing. Tell them your DH is a tech guy and KNOWS it's not an issue on your end. Tell them that you either need to cancel your "subscription" to BJU and get your $ back, or would be happy to upgrade to DVD if they will waive the extra $100 because you just don't have it to pay them. BJU really is easy to deal with. Truly.

Personally, I had a feeling the online option would have issues. It's waaaay to new, and there are bound to be major kinks to be worked out. The DVD's really are the better way to go, IMHO.

I hope you get it worked out. Please keep us updated!