Menu

MUS users who supplement with Singapore, how do you schedule it?

Mommy7

I'm suplementing our MUS this year w/this Singapore Math Practice book. While it's not published by Singapore, it's based on their methods. This book is what I'm using for my 3rd grader and I have the next level books for my 4th graders. I'm having them complete a unit a week from these books. So far it is working well.

When I looked at the Singapore Math program it did seem overwhelming to do the whole thing on top of MUS. I felt like I'd just need to switch to Singapore, which I decided not to do. Last year, I supplemented MUS w/Singapore's Challenging Word Problems. It didn't help solve my specific problems with word problems in one of dc so I'm trying something else for that (Math Detective by Critical Thinking Co.) and using this new practice book to help with other basic skills.

I think how you supplement MUS depends on what your specific goals are. For me, I wanted to have another way of teaching the same material and hopefully increase understanding, improve place value understanding, extra practice, improve word problem skills, and just an overall better understanding of basic math skills. Plus, MUS does such a different scope and sequence that I hope to fill in some of the grade level gaps so that my dc are able to answer those portions on the standardized tests.

Well, I have a mathy kid who does one lesson page from MUS and one lesson from Singapore each day. I will drop one or the other from the schedule if other subjects take a lot of time. She loves math and enjoys both programs, but we are only in Singapore 2A and MUS Gamma. At some point I may have to only go with only one program.

Blessings,

Pat

We'll be doing this this year. My PLAN right now (so take me with a grain of salt LOL) is to do MUS 3 days/week and Singapore 2 days/week. Also they'll probably only be able to get through 1 Singapore book per year at that pace rather than 2, but since MUS will be our main curriculum, I'm OK with that.