Menu

Math Facts with a 3rd grader...HELP!

3babiesmommy

Going to make this quick as we are on a little school break:) My 3rd grade DD STILL cannot seem to get basic addition and subtraction facts correct without thinking about them for several seconds (even things as easy as 4+2). We have had her tested for LD and she did come up with some Auditory Processing issues, but not even enough to be labeled a disorder. She has an EXCELLENT memory (which we were told after the testing), so I am not sure what the problem is here. We are doing Math U See, so I know the hands-on element is there, and she does understand how it works. I honestly think her problem is confidence. I think she needs to get to the point where she knows them cold so she doesn't struggle as we get into multiple step problems. She is using Quarter Mile Math, which I hope will help (we just started). Any other suggestions, games, tricks to get us past this hump???

Thanks in advance!

Coleen

Going to make this quick as we are on a little school break:) My 3rd grade DD STILL cannot seem to get basic addition and subtraction facts correct without thinking about them for several seconds (even things as easy as 4+2). We have had her tested for LD and she did come up with some Auditory Processing issues, but not even enough to be labeled a disorder. She has an EXCELLENT memory (which we were told after the testing), so I am not sure what the problem is here. We are doing Math U See, so I know the hands-on element is there, and she does understand how it works. I honestly think her problem is confidence. I think she needs to get to the point where she knows them cold so she doesn't struggle as we get into multiple step problems. She is using Quarter Mile Math, which I hope will help (we just started). Any other suggestions, games, tricks to get us past this hump???

Thanks in advance!

Coleen

Coleen,

For my kids? I tried flash cards, drill worksheets and Flashmaster before we found the Right Start Cards games. They hated all of the above (including Flashemaster) and love the games. Even my 3rd grader knows half her multiplication facts already.

Heather

I think she needs to get to the point where she knows them cold so she doesn't struggle as we get into multiple step problems

So do I.

:-)

I can be helpful to go buy a "complete" box of those sturdy addition flashcards from the teacher store.

The "complete" box has them backwards and forwards.

5 + 3

but also

3 + 5

You can keep on what you are doing in your math if you want,

but for the flashcards, just do 3 cards.

Three sessions daily.

Routine is

Flash the card

Student answers

If correct, goes into a "got it right quickly" discard pile

If hem, haw, or got it wrong, it goes into the "wrongs" discard pile.

When hands are empty, pick up the "wrong's" pile, and repeat the method.

When hands are empty, pick up the "wrong's" pile, and repeat the method.

until there are no cards in the "got it wrong, hem/haw" discard pile.

Then

The flashcard session is done.

Do 3 sessions daily.

When the day comes she knows all 3 cards, then tomorrow leave those cards in the daily stack and add 3 more cards.

3 will be easy, 3 will be hard/new.

Same method

3 sessions daily.

When the day comes she knows all 6 cards, tomorrow add 3 new cards, leaving the 6 cards in the stack too.

She will have 6 old/easy cards, and only has to learn "3 more cards"

Same routine method

She is always ever learning "Just 3 more cards" ;)

It takes a while, but it does the trick. For good.

:seeya:

My 3rd grader is the same way. It drives me crazy at times! She can't remember what 3 and 2 equals. We are still on Rightstart B. The only thing that seems to work with her is the card games. I think she does better because the math skills are used in context and because she isn't stressed while we are playing a game. One of our favorite games is addition war.

I sympathize with you!

Jenn

We use hot dots multiplication (can find on amazon.com or google), Math Shark (my son thinks this is a toy, loves it!) and I print off worksheets everyday from http://www.math-drills.com.

I had to drill my son everyday to get him to remember his multiplication tables.

We start everyday with a multiplication worksheet and either an addition/subtraction one.

Thanks in advance!

Coleen

You MUST be a fly on the wall in my house...you completely described my 3rd grade dd. Right down to the mild AP issues, not enough to "label". I started using Calculadders 1 with her, already did Quarter Mile Math too...didn't see as much improvement with that as I'd like to have seen. Calculadders is working wonders! And I also have her do a daily online drill that she oddly enjoys even though it would bore me to tears. To the left side where it says multiply, there's a drop down menu for other operations. You can set which facts to work out and for how long. I am amazed with the results! There's also SheppardSoftware.com, ixl.com, arcademicskillbuilders.com, weeklyreader.com (click on kids, then on games and choose from the left sidebar), woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/, mathsisfun.com/numbers/index.html .

Sorry those aren't in clickable form...I just had to type them in from my list. Cut and paste away!

I've also added in real life math hidden into many things throughout our day...backed off the texts for now and brought out the board games. Traditional and math targeted. They all have great arithemitic usage within them from keeping score to adding dice, etc. I've never seen her enjoy math so much...or improve so much, so quickly!

I liked Times Tales with my eldest for memorizing the 6,7,8,9 multiplication facts. http://www.timestales.com/

Both my kids loved online drills like this one:

http://www.mathusee.com/drill.html

And I had them fill in a blank multiplication table several times, that helped a lot as well. I found it online with google, there are several.

Also, I just came across these resources (no experience with them):

http://www.multiplication.com/

hope this helps!

Thank you SO MUCH to EVERYONE who responded!!! I am going to look over everything in more detail this weekend as I can't seem to find a moment to breathe during the week. You ladies are AWESOME and I am so grateful for the time you took to share with me and give me your ideas.

Coleen