Menu

Zaner-Bloser Handwriting and HWWT

FlutterbyMommy

I was planning on using a program from an individual for my daughter, but am now second guessing it (nothing really spelled out like a full curriculum). Now I am wondering if I should employ a mainstream writing curriculum and try to make a wise choice.

So what do you know about Zaner-Bloser Handwriting? How does it compare to Handwriting Without Tears? The price of Zaner-Bloser is quite high and I am wondering if it is truly worth it for the Pre-K.

:bigear:

Hello,

I don't post often but have homeschooled my 13 y.o. son all his life. We found the Pentime series to be great for this reluctant handwriter. $4 from Clay Book Store, 2 years ago. Used by a Quaker family I met then and my son has enjoyed it and done very well. We are secular and he just chooses to skip the infrequent bible passage. Most pages have them copy a simple page about a bird or butterfly. I think several sources have them. Enjoy and save your money!

Aloha,

Kristin in Hawaii

I don't know anything about Zaner-Bloser but my dd has a blast with HWOT. She is 6 now, writing well. But we started at 5. I think I will try to start earlier with my 4 yo boy, since he does not like to color or anything - we like the cd we dance and do all the movements in the songs. Handwriting is not something my dd complains about for school!! I would buy one teacher manual - they are all pretty similar for the early years - used. The workbooks you need new, they are fun for my dd.

We use Zaner-Blozer. My son is 7 and has done the K and 1 books and is now on the 2m. My son had very good control of a pencil and I simply took samples from 3 different programs, had him try each and decide which he liked doing best. I started it with him when he was 5.

So what do you know about Zaner-Bloser Handwriting? How does it compare to Handwriting Without Tears? The price of Zaner-Bloser is quite high and I am wondering if it is truly worth it for the Pre-K.

:bigear:

Each year's handwriting book is only about $10. (I've used K & 1 and have never felt the need to buy the TM. I figure it was designed for classroom use, which is why it is so expensive.) Also, if you mention you are a homeschooler, you get the school prices, rather than retail, plus they only charge actual shipping and not the minimum of $5.

There are many materials out there that use the ZB style of handwriting. You don't necessarily have to use their books. We have used A Reason for Handwriting and liked it. Books can be expensive, though. HWOT is also a good program, but very different. We switched from HWOT to ZB b/c ZB is used most often in workbooks and other curriculum. However, my ds6 and ds8 are having trouble with the 3 lines and so we might go back. Personally, I do not like the HWOT cursive...it is "ugly". JMHO. But, as I said, I think ds8 would do well with it. Easy, quick lessons that don't overwhelm.

We have used Zane-Bloser for the last two years and dd is just starting cursive. She loves her handwriting books and does them first thing in the morning without being asked! She is just starting cursive this year. I have never used the TM either nor have I felt I needed them.

We switched from HWT to ZB this year because I thought ZB was prettier. The letters are made in a similar way, but it looks more like the way I was taught. HWT has some good things for pre-k, if you want all the bells and whistles, we did the K book and the only things we used were the slate and workbook. We just bought the workbook for ZB and it's all that's necessary.

We switched from HWT to ZB this year because I thought ZB was prettier. The letters are made in a similar way, but it looks more like the way I was taught. HWT has some good things for pre-k, if you want all the bells and whistles, we did the K book and the only things we used were the slate and workbook. We just bought the workbook for ZB and it's all that's necessary.

I did the same (switching to ZB for cursive). We loved HWT for the early years.

I wanted to add that on the ZB website you can make your own worksheets for any font or grade level they sell. It comes in handy for extra practice.

Shannon