Menu

TOG year 1 question-does it still schedule Story of the Ancient World

HappyGrace

Happy, that's the Guerber book we're reading right now, and it's SO simple to implement, I don't see why you need a schedule for it. In fact, I'm not really sure you need TOG to do it. We read the chapter from Guerber, the next section (if it applies) in Victor Journey Through the Bible, discuss the mapping, and do any hands-on that applies from MOH. It's totally easy to pull together.

I was thinking I could just add it on to TOG. I want TOG because I want the discussion questions, SAPs, mapping, etc. all pulled together for me, and on the LG and D levels that I need for both kids now that I will have two I am planning for. I have pulled together my own history for the past two yrs around the VP cards (and really for the two yrs before that using other resources) and I have no doubt I can easily do it again, but just want to look at it all done for me for one year (I doubt I'll use TOG for all of logic stage because I hate how they break up the years with way too much in year 2, etc.) I do know I want to use Guerber in this next history cycle, so I will add that in if need be. I was just hoping maybe it was already there!

I was thinking I could just add it on to TOG. I want TOG because I want the discussion questions, SAPs, mapping, etc. all pulled together for me, and on the LG and D levels that I need for both kids now that I will have two I am planning for. I have pulled together my own history for the past two yrs around the VP cards (and really for the two yrs before that using other resources) and I have no doubt I can easily do it again, but just want to look at it all done for me for one year (I doubt I'll use TOG for all of logic stage because I hate how they break up the years with way too much in year 2, etc.) I do know I want to use Guerber in this next history cycle, so I will add that in if need be. I was just hoping maybe it was already there!

It is one of the texts that I want to add, but I don't own it yet, so I haven't scheduled it yet. I didn't see it on the alternate list.

Heather

Thanks, Heather! Definitely looking forward to doing all the Guerbers in logic stage.

Will you be adding in Story of the Greeks and Story of the Romans too? Or is that redundant with Story of the Ancient World?

They do schedule some of the Guerber texts, but any they don't I will add. I love Guerber.

Heather

Happy, Story of the Ancient World covers just OT history, tying in cultures that apply (Sumerians, etc.). I own all 3. Ancients, which we're using now, is distinctly easier than the other two. I suggest you have already studied through ancients once before doing the Guerber Greek and Roman books, where you could go into Ancients straight away, no problem. Actually, my thought is to save the Greek and Roman books for when we hit Omnibus in 7th. Ancients is really good right now. We're using it to survey the OT this year, and we'll do a NT survey next year.

Guerber Ancients is very straightforward to implement by itself. We just read, discuss, pull activities from MOH, find anything we're reading about on the map, etc. It's just all pretty obvious, not hard to do on the fly. It's an OT survey, so I don't see how TOG could really schedule it. That's not to say I don't recommend it though. I'm actually enjoying it a LOT. It's so easy to implement, pulls together so many threads and bits. You just couldn't ask for an easier, more straightforward but provocative thing.

I love Guerber too. :)

OhE, I will take your advice and save Greeks/Romans til later. We have done Ancients but I don't think she remembers much from 1st grade ;). Sounds those are maybe better left til older. I'm really excited about Anc. World though-sounds great! I love that it ties in OT with what else was going on in that time. I have only looked at the Amer Hist ones so I wasn't too familiar. Thank you!

I am looking forward to getting around to Ancients-it will be Modern this year-probably my least fave time period.