Menu

Hey y'all Texans- Tex-Mex cookbook?

I was born and raised in Texas, and still have a great cookbook from the electric company called Simply Texas (sadly oop). Learn to make a good pot of pinto beans and some tender sweet cornbread and you're off to a good start. Here is a site with quite a few good ones: http://texana.texascooking.com/cookbooks.htm I will say that regional cooking is usually featured on local TV stations or in newspaper columns, so you might try there. And a tip...please do not put beans in your chili! A real Texas no-no. :D

You Texans don't use cookbooks?

Nope! :D I throw ground beef, cumin, chili powder, jalapenos, and garlic together, put it on tortillas, tortilla chips, or taco shells and throw cheese on top. It can be called tacos, soft tacos, chili with chips, taco salad (if I can find something green lo)l or anything else I can think to name it. ;)

Ok, so I have cookbooks, but nothing in there seems to taste good.

Nope! :D I throw ground beef, cumin, chili powder, jalapenos, and garlic together, put it on tortillas, tortilla chips, or taco shells and throw cheese on top. It can be called tacos, soft tacos, chili with chips, taco salad (if I can find something green lo)l or anything else I can think to name it. ;)

Ok, so I have cookbooks, but nothing in there seems to taste good.

:iagree:

Native Texan who loves Tex-Mex and I also love true Mexican food. I cook lots of vegetarian recipes here, but I ditto everything above (except I use a soy substitute for ground beef). I also love green chiles and cilantro in lots of dishes...

OK, I'm confused. Texas doesn't have a cuisine all on its own? I thought it did but maybe I'm wrong. Is there a good cookbook for authentic Texas recipes that don't take hours and hours to prepare?

And can anyone recommend a cookbook for authentic Mexican recipes that don't take hours to prepare?

Yes, now I'm looking for 2 separate books.:001_smile: