Menu

If books weren't accessible to you as a child ...

Are you asking about children's fiction (chapter books) that can be enjoyed as an adult? There are so many, I don't know where to start! The Chronicles of Narnia, Anne of Green Gables, The Phantom Tollbooth, The Westing Game, The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Homer Price, Swallows and Amazons, The Mysterious Benedict Society, I Am David, House of Sixty Fathers, The Saturdays.... When do you want me to stop? :) I love reading well-written children's fiction. It is as easy to read as popcorn books for adults, but feels so much more substantial in the language, themes, ideas, and imagination.

Are you asking about children's fiction (chapter books) that can be enjoyed as an adult? There are so many, I don't know where to start! The Chronicles of Narnia, Anne of Green Gables, The Phantom Tollbooth, The Westing Game, The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Homer Price, Swallows and Amazons, The Mysterious Benedict Society, I Am David, House of Sixty Fathers, The Saturdays.... When do you want me to stop? :) I love reading well-written children's fiction. It is as easy to read as popcorn books for adults, but feels so much more substantial in the language, themes, ideas, and imagination.

The language is usually cleaner, and it can be every bit as challenging to read, and often even more thought-provoking.

The language is usually cleaner, and it can be every bit as challenging to read, and often even more thought-provoking.

It's nice to hear I'm not the only one who thinks this way! I hate picking up adult literature, getting into the story, then encountering "adult" situations I wasn't expecting. The majority of my favorite books were written for children or teens.

Books I wouldn't have wanted to miss from my childhood are:

A Little Princess

Homecoming & Dicey's Song (and the rest of the series)

Caddie Woodlawn

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry & Let the Circle Be Unbroken (and others in the series)

Anne of Green Gables (at least the first book--it gets tedious after a while)

The Giver & Gathering Blue

Goodnight, Mr. Tom

The Indian in the Cupboard (and sequels)

Summer of the Monkeys & Where the Red Fern Grows

Sarah Bishop, Island of the Blue Dolphins, and others by Scott O'Dell (most of what he has written!)

Edited by AndyJoy

The first three, published in the late 1960s-early 1970s, are the best:

A Wrinkle in Time

A Wind in the Door

A Swiftly Tilting Planet

The fourth one, Many Waters, published in 1986, was good, but not as good as the first three.

I haven't read the fifth one, An Acceptable Time, published in 1990.

A few of my other favorites include:

The Little House on the Prairie series

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (LOVED the book, but the movie is BAD)

The Golden Goblet

Goodbye, My Lady (now OOP)