Menu

Book series for young girls: Pony Pals... is it appropriate?

We are very choosy. I looked at one and didn't find anything that bothered me so I let my dd6 get it and she liked it, but I don't know what the others are like. I thought they seemed youngish for little girls and okay. I've skimmed through other girly chapter books and they talk about being fat, looking good for boys, etc., etc. Just wondering about this series and wanted to be safe, especially since she likes it and wants more books in this series. Thanks!

Don't know about Pony Pals.

However, I do know that Pony-Crazed Princess and Rainbow Magic Fairies are fine.

Pony-Crazed Princess is all about the ponies. The princess has several ponies, but no friends. She makes a friend in the first book (daughter of people who work in the castle) and shares her ponies. The only clothing-type thing I remember in any of the books is that her father thinks she should always be in a pink princess dress but she'd rather be in riding clothes.

Rainbow Magic is all about helping the fairies get back whatever Jack Frost took from them. Generally Jack Frost steals 7 things from the fairies and the two girls in the series find one of the items in each book (7 book series). The "specials" are bindups of 3 books where Jack Frost steals 3 things from the fairies that the girls help them get back.

Katie Kazoo may be fine also. I haven't gone through many of those books. In this series, Katie wishes on a shooting star that she could be somebody else. In each book, she becomes a different person, gets into a horrible mess, and then has to get back out of it. She can't control who she becomes or when it happens. She became the class hamster in one book, her principal in another, and one of the cafeteria ladies in another. There is one character in the series who is all about the clothes, but that's pretty minor. You'd have to read through to see if it's enough to bother you. The focus in these books is seeing things through somebody else's perspective.

Animal Ark Pets (3rd grade level) is also a good series. It's all about the pets. Be warned that in the Animal Ark (4th grade level) series, the animal sometimes dies, but that never happens in the Animal Ark Pets series.

Don't know about Pony Pals.

However, I do know that Pony-Crazed Princess and Rainbow Magic Fairies are fine.

Pony-Crazed Princess is all about the ponies. The princess has several ponies, but no friends. She makes a friend in the first book (daughter of people who work in the castle) and shares her ponies. The only clothing-type thing I remember in any of the books is that her father thinks she should always be in a pink princess dress but she'd rather be in riding clothes.

Rainbow Magic is all about helping the fairies get back whatever Jack Frost took from them. Generally Jack Frost steals 7 things from the fairies and the two girls in the series find one of the items in each book (7 book series). The "specials" are bindups of 3 books where Jack Frost steals 3 things from the fairies that the girls help them get back.

Katie Kazoo may be fine also. I haven't gone through many of those books. In this series, Katie wishes on a shooting star that she could be somebody else. In each book, she becomes a different person, gets into a horrible mess, and then has to get back out of it. She can't control who she becomes or when it happens. She became the class hamster in one book, her principal in another, and one of the cafeteria ladies in another. There is one character in the series who is all about the clothes, but that's pretty minor. You'd have to read through to see if it's enough to bother you. The focus in these books is seeing things through somebody else's perspective.

Animal Ark Pets (3rd grade level) is also a good series. It's all about the pets. Be warned that in the Animal Ark (4th grade level) series, the animal sometimes dies, but that never happens in the Animal Ark Pets series.

Thanks for your info. I have not heard of the other series you mentioned. :)

I can't tell you much about the Pony Pals. My dd was given quite a few of them, but only read a couple. She says that there isn't anything I'd object to, and I'm fairly conservative about the things you mentioned.

I'm don't know how you feel about used books, but if you decide you're going to allow Pony Pals, I'd be glad to send you all of the ones we have if you'd pay for media rate postage (which is usually pretty cheap). Let me know if you want them. :) email: julie van tol @ clear wire . net (no spaces)

ETA: I also have a lot of the Animal Ark books. They seem wholesome, and nice for younger kids. Same deal goes for those: I'll send all we have for just the price of shipping, if you're interested. It's time to let go of the lower-level books! (see my sig line)

Edited by Julie in CA

My oldest daughter loved the Pony Pals books. They are very appropriate; there are 3 girls, and they have ponies, and solve little problems or friendship difficulties. There are a couple of boys in the background, who sometimes try to cause trouble (one is pretty mean, the other is a follower), and the girls try to either avoid the boys or be friendly to the nicer one. No romance, no dieting, just lots of pony sleepovers and helping sick animals.

There is one story about a girl who comes for a visit who thinks of nothing but clothes and makeovers and hair. The Pony Pals are exasperated by her, but realize that she's afraid of horses because of a childhood trauma, so they try to help her forget about her hair and find out that ponies are nice.

I can't tell you much about the Pony Pals. My dd was given quite a few of them, but only read a couple. She says that there isn't anything I'd object to, and I'm fairly conservative about the things you mentioned.

I'm don't know how you feel about used books, but if you decide you're going to allow Pony Pals, I'd be glad to send you all of the ones we have if you'd pay for media rate postage (which is usually pretty cheap). Let me know if you want them. :) email: julie van tol @ clear wire . net (no spaces)

ETA: I also have a lot of the Animal Ark books. They seem wholesome, and nice for younger kids. Same deal goes for those: I'll send all we have for just the price of shipping, if you're interested. It's time to let go of the lower-level books! (see my sig line)

Thanks! I'll email you and give you details.

My oldest daughter loved the Pony Pals books. They are very appropriate; there are 3 girls, and they have ponies, and solve little problems or friendship difficulties. There are a couple of boys in the background, who sometimes try to cause trouble (one is pretty mean, the other is a follower), and the girls try to either avoid the boys or be friendly to the nicer one. No romance, no dieting, just lots of pony sleepovers and helping sick animals.

There is one story about a girl who comes for a visit who thinks of nothing but clothes and makeovers and hair. The Pony Pals are exasperated by her, but realize that she's afraid of horses because of a childhood trauma, so they try to help her forget about her hair and find out that ponies are nice.

Yay! I'm glad to know this a good series. She'll be so happy! :)