Menu

Spielvogel Western Civilization vs. Human Odyssey

Can anyone tell me about the differences in scope/quality between these two texts, especially for the period from the Civil War through 20th century?

Dd will be in 9th grade and I’m looking for a good history spine. Last year she read the first four Hakim History of US books, and while those are good and quite in-depth, I’m thinking we need a break from that style, and I’d also like something written at a higher level--with more world-focus as well.

I own Western Civ Vol 1 (which goes up to 1715) and plan to use it again when dd goes back to Ancient history, but am wondering whether to purchase Vol 2, or give Human Odyssey a try. I’ve heard Human Odyssey maybe covers more world history beyond European (??) and I see a number of people here use it.

Any advice or insight you can give me? Thanks in advance! :001_smile:

Guest lcsharpe1

Hi!

I have used Speilvogel for a number of years and really love it. But the user must understand that it is a Western Civilization course and therefore the content will include only enough American history to fulfill that mandate. I have not used Human Odyssey so I cannot comment on that. It does sound like you are looking for something with a larger US History component. Spielvogel likely will not give you what you want. On the other hand, if you want a super Western Civ course this is it! We do it in two years. The first year is ancient through 1450 or so. The second year we use the second half of the book for an AP European History course. I supplement with the Center for Learning's AP European guide books to round it out. My oldest daughter says that she couldn't have done AP without those books.

Best,

Lisa Sharpe