Menu

scheduling Phonic Pathways

choirfarm

Ok, so if I am dropping Saxon phonics, then how do you know how to schedule Phonic Pathways?? We read a page through and she is doing very well on them right now. A page takes her maybe 10 minutes. It is like something clicked. I have her do a couple of pages from either Explode the Code 4 or 4 1/2. I just bought Reading Pathways (formerly Pyramid) and had her do a page from that. Then I have her read from a book ( the I can read ones someone gave me the link to or a library one or one from home. ) Is that enough?? Right now the Phonic Pathways is a review of what ETC and Saxon have done. It is just 4 letter words with blends. Saxon and ETC are doing multi-syllable words and that is where she is really struggling. So is that how I do it if I don't do Saxon??

Christine

Absolutely. You actually describe exactly what we do. The only thing I do different is I dictate the phoneme that they are learning and have them copy it in their composition books (and a few example words). I then choose a sentence or two for them to copy as well, and that's it.

We just switched from OPGTR to PP and wished we had done it awhile ago.

HTH

What you are currently doing with the Phonics Pathways, Pyramid book, and the readers sounds like plenty. It is exactly what I did with my first two, and plan on doing with the next two when they're ready.

Any other phonics/reading my guys did during the day was seen as "fun" and not work, because they had already done their "school" reading. Once their reading took off, I had to pry them away from their books.

Sounds like you are doing great; building a reader without overwhelming the reader...:001_smile:

Thanks. Writing is no problem. She has to keep a journal for vision therapy and so she copies 2 sentences per day in there. She then either does WWE or a lapbook. For example today in her Thomas Jefferson lapbook she wrote down : He died on Independence Day. He wrote the Declaration of Independence. I should probably dictate some of the Phonic Pathway sentences maybe to work on spelling since I don't have the Saxon spelling tests anymore?

Christine

How does Phonics Pathways differ from OPGTR? We've been using OPGTR and my dd just can not stand it right now. It's so bad that we've just had to do other things. She's happy to do her other school work, but OPGTR bothers her so much that she just can't do it! I've been thinking of trying Phonics Pathways, but I was afraid it would be too much like OPGTR!

We just switched from OPGTR to PP and wished we had done it awhile ago.

HTH

How does Phonics Pathways differ from OPGTR? We've been using OPGTR and my dd just can not stand it right now. It's so bad that we've just had to do other things. She's happy to do her other school work, but OPGTR bothers her so much that she just can't do it! I've been thinking of trying Phonics Pathways, but I was afraid it would be too much like OPGTR!

PP introduces the rule and has lists of words for them to read. My kids really like that a lot of the time the words are silly and there is a lot of rhyming as well. There are also a few games in the back of the book, too. OPGTR was just really DRY. You could check your library if you wanted to give a try before you spend the money to buy it.

Thanks so much for the information! Sounds like a good fit for us, and I hadn't even thought of checking the library. Just placed a hold for it!

PP introduces the rule and has lists of words for them to read. My kids really like that a lot of the time the words are silly and there is a lot of rhyming as well. There are also a few games in the back of the book, too. OPGTR was just really DRY. You could check your library if you wanted to give a try before you spend the money to buy it.

I would just add that unlike OPGTR, PP does not have script for teacher or student. I like this better b/c my kiddos just want to read their pages & then move on to readers & ETC.

Oh, PP suggests the student spell the words before moving on- we do NOT do this! I focus on phonics and teach spelling latter (when they are older or/and at a separate time of the day.)

Ok, so if I am dropping Saxon phonics, then how do you know how to schedule Phonic Pathways?? We read a page through and she is doing very well on them right now. A page takes her maybe 10 minutes. It is like something clicked. I have her do a couple of pages from either Explode the Code 4 or 4 1/2. I just bought Reading Pathways (formerly Pyramid) and had her do a page from that. Then I have her read from a book ( the I can read ones someone gave me the link to or a library one or one from home. ) Is that enough?? Right now the Phonic Pathways is a review of what ETC and Saxon have done. It is just 4 letter words with blends. Saxon and ETC are doing multi-syllable words and that is where she is really struggling. So is that how I do it if I don't do Saxon??

Christine

This is just how we did it (but w/out ETC). I sat down with PP and RP and correlated them on paper...eventually they don't match up perfectly. I might still have that correlation somewhere, but it's been 3 years. I'll look, and if I find it, I'll post it to save you the trouble.