Menu

Which Math do you like better???

lovinmykids

I've looked at several maths, and they all seem to have + and -'s.

We've tried Abeka and CLE and they didn't work for us. I'm looking for 3rd grade.

I like the looks of Saxon, where it has the "meeting". That way a child works on a ton of important stuff and it eventually sticks and they get really good at it. I also like BJU. I like how they present a new concept for awhile, and it is taught in a way that makes it so easy for a child to "get".

The mastery concept is ok, but I worry my child will forget to much.

Which do you like for the younger years and why??

thanks!

Have you looked at Horizons or LifePacs? My ds15 was getting overwhelmed with the "bigness" of the books, so we went to LifePac math, and with the shorter books, even though it was the same amount done over all, he found success with the shorter segments and sense of accomplishment as he finished each book. He learned well--he got in the high 90's percentile on the ITBS tests, so we stuck with it until he got over that phobia of large math books! :) I've never used Horizons, but have heard people recommend it highly.

I used Saxon 1 for dd when she was in K. That went fine, though we skipped a lot cuz she got bored with it (The first time I ever heard her use the word bored was when she told me, on her own, how she felt about the Saxon math.), but I enjoyed the concepts and things. After that the Saxon math just did.not.work.at.all for any of my kids. I liked it, but they didn't.

I've heard good things about the BJU math, especially if you work with all the things available to make it well-rounded.

We *LOVE* Bju Press Math here. After trying CLE and MCP and liking Singapore, but feeling it wasn't *quite* what I wanted, BJU is like a pair of comfortable shoes. It's a wonderful feeling.

Our favorite aspects:

Hands on activities

Colorful workbook

As much/little practice as needed (Mom is in the driver's seat!)

Great word problems

Wonderful concept development (ds understands WHY renaming works like it does)

As you mentioned, the chapter/unit design.

Snow White~ I don't see a ton of review in BJU, how do you do it so they don't forget. I need more things like money counting, skip counting, etc.

What do you think about using BJU as my backbone (doing everything except the little review section in the TM) and using Saxon for just the "meeting" review part before I do the BJU lesson?

I see alot of people use 2 different math programs, seems to be just fine.

Do you think it's a good idea or will this be too much.

Oh, we did try Horizons in K and it was too hard for my youngest.

We really like Saxon. I do the Meetings with my twins and we get a lot out of that. I like the constant reinforcement you get from Saxon. They feel confident and successful with math and that is a priority for me. I like that they understand that any subject (even math) can be broken down in to incremental steps and mastered. When they get to the big important steps, they've already got it down. My girls really really like it - they are in 3rd grade and we're about 1/2 through Saxon 3. We'll move to 5/4 around Christmas.

We really like BJU. Depending upon how much your dc needs to review there are additional resources within BJU for review, to expand on a topic or to accelerate a topic. The TG gives plenty of instruction to help you explain a topic, allows for hands-on practice, etc.

With dd Abeka worked great until she became bored to tears with it after completeing the 5th grade level. But, middle ds we just weren't finding what we needed to click for him. We used Abeka, Horizons, CLE, Singapore, Moving with Math, --probably others that I'm not recalling ---but last year we switched to BJU and he loved math and picked up the concepts and retained the info.

I do admit that this year we are using both BJU and TT Math 5 ---the Math 5 he's done over the summer and considers it a fun math game.

Well first you need to go with what works for your child. If you have a child that needs to learn a little bit at a time and needs lots of review I would go with Saxon. I used Saxon for K and 1st and it worked really well for her. We are using CLE right now and I'm not so sure I'm getting the same effect from it as I was the Saxon math for her. Though I do like CLE better. LOL.

Saxon is great for kids who need lots of review.

I also like BJU math. I have used BJU K, 1,2,3 and now 6th. There was a stint inbetween there where we were with a cyberschool using Calvert math(don't recommend it). My oldest uses BJU math and it fits her well. She is my child where I just show her how to do something and she's got it. To much review drives her nuts, though it does benefit her.

We did use CLE math last year and even though she moaned and complained her test scores showed that it worked well( and she's not a good test taker by any stretch of the imagination).

Anyways I do enjoy teaching BJU math. It works great for kids who understand math, and like math and enjoy learning lots of little tricks to come to the same answer. She is also my child that thrives off of the bells and whistles type of programs, she needs color! LOL.

So in conclusion there , if you have a child that needs lots of review to make things stick then Saxon is the way to go. The first time I used it it took me a bit longer then I liked but once I became more familar with the program we breezed right through it. Saxon is a good math program. It works great for those children where color would be to much of a distraction to them. Its great for someone who wants a scripted manual and doesn't want to weed through a teacher manual to find what works best for their child. Saxon is an all in one program. I never ever felt the need to supplement with anything other then maybe Singapore Challenging Word problems it was so complete. It has the meeting book for K-3, drill and then the practice work.

Bob Jones math works great for kids who feel they need bells and whistles to learn. Its a very thorough math program and works well for children who get math. I like how their manual uses different teaching styles for different types of learners. Its not just one teaching method so you do have to read the manual at least a day ahead of time to find out what you want to use out of the manual to teach. Other then that BJU is pretty easy to use. I started out with BJU math when we began our homeschooling journey and I knew nothing about teaching and not much about homeschooling at that point. So if I can do it anyone can.

You need to purchase the seperate books that BJU sells for extra practice. So if money is tight you may want to do some price comparison of the math programs before buying. You could also utilize the internet and find website with extra practice or use some of the Kumon or store worksbooks for extra practice. My daughter enjoyed the themed units with BJU, they start out with a story with characters that go along with aa theme and then there are lessons and then the child and you work with the first page and then the student uses the back page for practice of the lessons.

All in all either one is a good choice. It really all boils down to how your child learns best.

We *LOVE* Bju Press Math here. After trying CLE and MCP and liking Singapore, but feeling it wasn't *quite* what I wanted, BJU is like a pair of comfortable shoes. It's a wonderful feeling.

Our favorite aspects:

Hands on activities

Colorful workbook

As much/little practice as needed (Mom is in the driver's seat!)

Great word problems

Wonderful concept development (ds understands WHY renaming works like it does)

As you mentioned, the chapter/unit design.

We're new to BJU Math this year. And, we've only used it for two weeks... so not sure how much help my input may be... just wanted to share that I'm glad I tried it. I think it's a really good fit for my younger son. He loves math, really enjoys mental math, and also likes for math to have a playful feel to it. He doesn't need alot of practice or review but I have enjoyed the reviews book. I give those sheets to him the day after he's had that lesson and first thing in his school schedule... I guess you would say it's just busy work, but I like giving him something to focus on while I get my oldest son started with his own work.

We are using Math 2 and the theme involves Paddy the Beaver. My oldest son would have died to have to sit through those little stories, but this particular child loves them. He really enjoys the colorful manipulatives. He loves the colorful workbook. I like the scripted lessons, find that it's just the right amount of practice for him, and am finding it easy to teach.

The things that SnowWhite listed above are also the things I like the most about it so far.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE MEP for our math!!! My 5 yr old ds is thriving with it. My oldest uses Saxon, and I actually have the Saxon books for K and 1 too. We haven't done much with them. I think I may just use the fun activities, patterning, and such from those and use MEP as our main math for my youngers. My oldest went to ps for a few years and so Saxon fits what he is used to. We are slowly using MEP alongside Saxon for him and so far he sees it as *fun math* so we'll keep with it. Maybe we will be able to transition him to MEP exclusively but if not, I think he will do well with Saxon.

Both, I think, are great math programs.

I have heard alot of people say Saxon takes along time to do. Like 1-2 hours a day. Would you say that is true?

I'm just so torn on the 2 maths. I've also heard alot of good things about Saxon and kids seem to test very well with it.

Would you say that Saxon is gentler that CLE, being that it's incremental and not a true spiral...at least that is what people are saying it is but I'm not even really sure what the difference is. HUH!

CLE was a bit much for my child, and it got to a point that she wouldn't even want to do math anymore and said she hated math.

I think because there were so many pages with CLE.

It's a big decision and I have to decide soon cuz I stay with one and use all year.

UGH!

I never spent 1 to 2 hrs on math with Saxon. Even when I did everything in a lesson. My daughter would never allow that. LOL.

It takes a little bit of time to get the feel for Saxon and once you do you will do it in a lot less time. I have heard of many different ways to use Saxon. One family share with me one time that they split the lessons did some of it in the morning and the rest in the afternoon after lunch. I never really tried that. We just sat down and went through it and maybe spent a half hour on it all. Your child can also do one side of the sheets instead of both sides since Saxon continually reviews anyways. My 2nd daughter is a perfectionist and felt the need to do both sides.

CLE math moves much faster then Saxon. Both Saxon and CLE are incremental and spiral. Incremental in the approach to how it teaches concepts ( a little bit at a time) and spiral in the way it continually brings back old concepts that were previously learned.

Saxon works a little slower and for some children that is the perfect pace. All children are different. I do like Saxon but I had to go with CLE due to price( money is tight for us right now). In the end Saxon gets children to where they need to go with math. It doesn't matter how fast they move through it as long as they understand what they are doing in their own way.

Guest janainaz

I use Saxon and I really like it, we have used it from K. We are on 5/6 for my 4th grader and just about ready to complete the book.

Not everyone likes this curriculum, but for me, it's perfectly scripted to teach and it really reinforces the math facts and continues to review previously learned concepts (I believe this is VERY important). I had a few little issues with certain things about the curriculum (they introduced multiplication in 2nd grade, but did not re-introduce it into 3rd grade until more than half-way through the book). I called and spoke with a Saxon rep. about my issues/questions and it did me world of good to hear their sensible explanation/s.

I really think that if a curriculum makes sense to YOU, that you can teach it to your child. Not all math programs have the same approach. I really did not know that much about selecting a good curriculum for math when I started hs'ing. I looked at the top three and chose the one that I felt most comfortable with.

I think the only thing that I would consider is supplementing with another math program, like Singapore, for word problems. Saxon is not really strong in this area, but I love the rest.

Thanks Tracy, that helps me out alot! Well, do you think if my child didn't really like CLE, she will dislike Saxon? You said CLE is faster than Saxon, so we might be o.k. then. I was thinking of doing the backside of the worksheet at night for homework like the TM suggested.

She thought that was cool cuz she'd have homework!LOL

Well, she took the placement test and didn't pass to go to the 3rd grade level, missing it by 2points. I think most of it was due to their way of doing things or the way they say it. But, the same thing, I went back into the 2nd grade book and started testing her on the assessment tests to see where I should start her. She passed up to lesson 50 but then got a 79% on lesson 60. Should I start her there?? Somewhere between lesson 50-60? I notice they review alot of saxon 2 in the beginning of saxon 3. But, she would miss alot of the multiplying by 3's and 4's, which she hasn't mastered yet.

I know Math is a skill that has to be learned or they will suffer, but I'm so afraid she'll be behind if I ever had to send her to school, she would be about 1/2 a year. I worry that they will put her where her peers are and she won't be there and she'll suffer the rest of her years. That was me as a child and I could never figure it out. NOW, I'm learning with her and it's fun!! I can't wait to get to algebra and learn it! LOL

What would you suggest if I just do Saxon? Luckly, I can borrow the TM from a friend and just buy the other stuff.

Thanks, your a huge help!

We love Math-U-See. I am so impressed with the depth of each subject (addition/subtaction/mul/div - etc...) and the built in review. The pages are clean, no colored pictures. I have my children watch the video lesson for the week. Then I help them from there, if needed.

My middle daughter went to public school this past year for 3rd grade. Her class was doing basic multiplication facts at the end of the year. I was also making her do her MUS on the side, because we knew we were going back to homeschooling this year. Anyway at the end of MUS Gamma (3rd grade) they are doing multiplication like this:

x316

Quite a difference.

I love how MUS sticks with one level of math per year and masters it. I think it goes into more depth than most programs like Saxon. PLEASE don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down Saxon, they will all cover the same material. It's that MUS goes into more depth while they are covering that specific function, like multiplication (IMHO). Also, Mr. Demme wants them to "see" the math and understand the "why," not just memorize. Saxon and some others will touch lighter on each of the functions, covering each (add, sub, mul, div, geo, and more) and go deaper as the years go on.

Some children may feel they truly understand it when they have spent a whole year developing the skills of one function. I really think it sticks well this way. At least it has for my 3 girls.

MUS has comprehensive review built in. So they review things they learned a year or two before as well.

Sorry so long, and hope this helps,

Katie

I keep hearing how much people love this math. Can you tell me more about it.

I looked Beta and Gamma. Can a child do Beta in 3rd?

I don't know if mine would be quit ready for it, to do multy diget multiplication..oh my! Were just learning the single and have learned 1,2,5 and 0's. We have not learned borrowing to the hundren place yet.

I can't view any video's on there web page because I don't have high speed internet.

Explain what a child does in a typical day in their workbook page. How many pages do they do , what's on it, do they do daily flashcards, etc....???

Thanks

I can't pick just one math.....it's like chocolate to me....I choose them all:lol:

The more I work with MEP, the more I think it's the "perfect" math...

Still, I use Singapore, RightStart, and Miquon materials too.

Presently, we are doing MEP for review and moving forward with Miquon. Singapore is not getting much love, and Rightstart is used only for it's games. Subject to change upon the next mental leap.;)

What would you suggest if I just do Saxon? Luckly, I can borrow the TM from a friend and just buy the other stuff.

Thanks, your a huge help!

I'd start her where she missed, so at lesson 60. Then move on through until she finishes the book. How many lessons are there in the grade 2 book? Remember, you don't have to do every thing in the lessons she does do. You can move at a quicker pace, one you both feel comfortable with, to catch her up a little more if you wish. As soon as she finishes the grade two book, go to the grade 3 book and start right away. You should be able to skip a lot of lessons again, as it will be review, then just keep working her through. I think she'll be just fine! :001_smile:

I'm not sure how people are using MEP math, the money is writin in pounds.

That's too confusing to me.

I tell my 11 yr old to just think in terms of American money. Works for him. I will probably use some workbooks and a play money set with my 5 yr old just to make sure he gets the American money system and then tell him the same. Wal-mart has a cheap Time and Money workbook that someone here said was awesome for teaching money.

With every lesson we do, I love this math!! My 11 yr old actually ENJOYED his MEP lesson yesterday!! He is NOT a math person. Lots of hand-on which is what he needs.