Menu

Grades prior to high school?

melmichigan

Do you give grades for classes prior to high school? I completely understand why we need to give grades for high school classes. I do keep my lesson plans and attendance record, the kids books, and binders as examples of completed curriculum as required by the state but didn't give report cards this last year. What do you do?

I don't make report cards. I have a record and examples of what we did. Starting in 8th grade, though, I make up a transcript and give grades. In case something happens and they need to go to school in highschool, I then have the latest year or more of grades. My boys have ended up going to a good Christian highschool (well, ds15 is leaving next week to go to the school his brother graduated from in May. This will be ds15's first time in a school. He's always been homeschooled before this coming year!). I gave the school copies of the transcripts I made up and they accepted the transcripts (and the boys! :D) with no problems.

In lower grades the schools (at least the ones my kids would go to) put them in a grade based on their age, so there's no need to have a transcript. Those are the years I let my kids explore and go on interesting tangents more often and have fun! We buckle down more in 8th grade, though I still try to keep in interesting, if not always fun, to finish up any loose ends so they're ready for highschool.

Okay, that was more than you asked, sorry! :tongue_smilie: But it all sort of ties in together! :001_smile:

Edited by Brindee

I'm starting this year giving grades just to my 5th grader. My reasoning for starting this year is two fold. First, I wanted a couple of years practice before I had to start thinking about a high school transcript. (We do plan to homeschool all the way.) Second, classes in middle school tend to be leveled by ability. On the off chance that something happens to me and DD had to go into public school, I'm hoping that a combination of grades and samples of her work would help the staff place her in the correct level. HTH

I did, in 5th, for a couple of reasons.

One, I use HST for lesson planning, and part of that is the option for daily grades, which can be used to create a report card at a click of a button. So I did.

Plus, DS11 is a numbers kind of guy, so he appreciates being able to see a report card.

But, since he is a good student, and we work on things until he gets it, the grades are always A's. (so it's not like I have a whole lot of stock in the report card, of course I know how he is doing on a day to day basis.)

It did work out to have this though. The football program he joined wanted a report card. I probably could have gotten a waiver if I choose to explain we homeschooled, but since the report card was in the file cabinet, I just did it. He was able to earn free bowling due to good grades.