Menu

Huge mistake coming here this week...3rd and 7th grade

mchel210

Ok...I have to admit. I made a huge mistake coming by here this week...(as I sit here laughing) I had my curriculum all laid out...boring abeka again...with my mish mosh of other curriculum. Now I have it all changed!!

I really should have it changed as my dd is flying through abeka way too easy. She skipped the first grade program and is blowing through the second grade. I am very glad I found the links you have all sent me as I think I may be able to put her into some awesome writing programs. I really haven't seen several of the Classical Writing programs before and it is opening up a new door for us!

As far as my 12 yo...I have received some wonderful advice. I have stuggled having him home this year and he doesnt do well with the books I currently use. I think I have his program all laid out now and ready to go. I am just making a few tweeks to make sure it is a good fit.

I am still torn with writing programs as my 7 yo has not done any formal writing. I am just starting to introduce small stories that she writes (very short) but nothing formal. Her grammar is fully abeka at this point.

So next year I am looking at writing tales for my dd going into 3rd...or CW aesops for both kids. My 12 yo is a reluctant writer...so it may work for both. I am unsure about how it works for the full year. I still have to look at it. I think he would love writing tales, but it is too easy for him.

Now, I had never been to Hewitt site...and I love it. They have a nice selection of books that makes it very easy to see your future years all coming together!

I plan on using LL7, BF again, logic (which we havent done this year), wordly wise, Apologia general science, latin, math, and I am still debating on grammar. I think I like Analytical Grammar...I am just scared to use it only 10 weeks. I know my son will love it. That is our biggest arguement currently, Abeka Language!

My dd7 will be going into 3rd and I had been planning on remaining with abeka 3 language and math. I still think I will...but I think I will introduce a different writing program, aesops or writing tales, or my 1st reports looks fun, wordly wise, BF history of the horse (she chose), story of the world 2, and lantin.

Im not sure for spelling with both kids. Abeka seems very simple for my 7yo. She wants to test out each week on monday...and always gets 100% My 12 yo hates spelling and usually misses half of the 20 words (too many) from building spelling skills.

I had to stop by and see what else everyone could recommend before tomorrow. I am going to the A beka in my neigborhood to buy my language and math...so I wanted to be finalized by then...LOL...Now my head is spinning.

Thanks,

Michelle L.SFlorida

Since you're realizing you have other options and want time to consider them, why not wait on ordering the abeka stuff? There's no rush. They have those shows with free shipping all the time.

Your 3rd grader doesn't really need another grammar program on top of Writing Tales (which I would suggest doing over CW, as it's more fun). You might look at FLL3, as it would be on her level but with a more interesting, thoughtful approach. Might be just the change you're looking for. It would be fine to do FLL3 with WT1.

No, you wouldn't put a 12 year old into Writing Tales or CW Aesop. I don't have a 12 yo, but my first thought was for you to look at IEW for him. If he hasn't done a lot of writing and is reluctant, it might be just the thing to turn him around. It's age-appropriate, structured, even comes with dvd's.

If your math is working, there's no need to change.

For spelling, well of course it's easy for your 7 yo, as it's 2nd grade words. You could let her move through the curriculum more quickly, testing out and getting into say the 5th grade book, where it would probably match better the words she's wanting to write. I use SWR (Spell to Write and Read), which allows you to teach the dc at their level, not what some curriculum decided kids would want to spell at that age. I still think it's sensible to work through a spelling program of some sort, just to make sure they learn their rules for plurals, suffixes, etc. Nothing says you have to hold them back though. If she doesn't mind the abeka, just let her proceed forward at her own pace. If you want to change, make a post about spelling, as you'd certainly have a zillion options. We like the Calvert spelling cd's, which give you more challenging words when you test out of the words on the list.

There are times that I wish I didn't have so many options. Making the decision on which program to choose can sometimes be the hardest part of homeschooling.

For 7th grade writing, I would highly recommend CW Workbook for Older Beginners. It will move you through CW Aesop and CW Homer so that you can get to Diogenes which includes essay writing. Your 3rd grader could start with CW Aesop A which would track with your 7th grader at first, but at some point, the 7th grader would move ahead, and you'd be teaching 2 separate programs. Of course, this will probably happen no matter what programs you use due to their difference in age. Another option would be to use R&S grammar 3 with your 3rd grader. It has a writing component integrated with the grammar lessons. TWTM recommends this route.

I use R&S Spelling, and I'm pleased with the program. The spelling words are not always challenging, but I do like the continued review of phonetics, building words, and dictionary skills. In 7th & 8th grade, the series moves into more of a vocabulary program focusing on Latin & Greek roots.

Good luck with your decisions!

Are you saying if you use RS you wont need to add writing? 3rd grade is included? and 7th too? Just curious. I used RS in the beginning of this year for 2nd...and it was very nice....but I was testing out books...and stuck with abeka 2. I thought is was very simple and laid out nice. I didn't see writing in it, though?

Are you saying if you use RS you wont need to add writing? 3rd grade is included? and 7th too? Just curious. I used RS in the beginning of this year for 2nd...and it was very nice....but I was testing out books...and stuck with abeka 2. I thought is was very simple and laid out nice. I didn't see writing in it, though?

Yes, the R&S grammar program contains a writing component. The books include lessons for expository writing skills. Of the 127 lessons in R&S grammar 4, there are 33 lessons on writing. I thought we had writing assignments in R&S 3, but none of the lessons are marked as having a writing component. In looking through the Table of Contents though, I see lessons titled: A Thank-you Letter, Sharing an Experience, etc. Lesson 99 does have them write a paragraph about an experience they had. So the writing instruction is there in R&S 3. I never used R&S grammar 2, so I don't know about writing on that level. I wouldn't begin a formal writing program before 3rd grade anyway.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

It seems RS would make our day a lot easier? One english and writing program together?

I am not going to rush into making any purchases for my son in 7th. As for my dd, I think I will keep her working in Abeka language as she loves it...but add in a seperate writing...maybe just the books...my first writing...which seems it would be one per quarter.

Im going to have to sit down and go through the books for him some more.

Just a last thought on R&S grammar 7. If I had a son that did not have any background in R&S grammar, I would probably back up and start with R&S grammar 6. I'm planning R&S 7 this year, and well, it's very, very thorough. Right now I'm looking at scheduling R&S 7 over 2 years (7th & 8th grade). I was thinking about dropping the writing assignments since I use CW too, but after looking at the scope & sequence for R&S English, I'm not as inclined to drop the writing assignments. It's very common to work a year behind in R&S grammar; it is very unusual to work ahead in this program.

I think I like Analytical Grammar...I am just scared to use it only 10 weeks. I know my son will love it. That is our biggest arguement currently, Abeka Language!

For what it's worth, my 7th grader has started Analytical Grammar this year, and I think it's great. We are using it a bit differently to the suggestion in the manual, however. My dd only does it twice a week making each unit last for two weeks. On other days she does other language arts elements. This will take 20 weeks, then for the rest of the year will use that time to focus on something else like a writing program. I love the way the program is solid and focussed, getting the job of teaching grammar done, without making it lifelong chore ;)

Just my thoughts.

Linda

I am still torn with writing programs as my 7 yo has not done any formal writing. I am just starting to introduce small stories that she writes (very short) but nothing formal. Her grammar is fully abeka at this point.

My dd7 will be going into 3rd and I had been planning on remaining with abeka 3 language and math. I still think I will...but I think I will introduce a different writing program,

Im not sure for spelling with both kids. Abeka seems very simple for my 7yo. She wants to test out each week on monday...and always gets 100% My 12 yo hates spelling and usually misses half of the 20 words (too many) from building spelling skills.

Oh my, this brought back memories of my now 13 yo ds. I ended up dropping all writing assignments in Abeka Language 3 after one lesson where he was supposed to write 3 sentences about why the girl in the picture might be smiling. Oh she's smiling because she has a pretty flower. It's a sunny day. Blah, blah, blah. But what I got from my then 7 yo was, "How am I supposed to know why she's smiling? I don't know why she's smiling. I don't even know who she is!"

He's also the kid who got 100s on all his Abeka spelling tests. We skipped Spelling 5 (I didn't like that the lists weren't phonics related, just topical) and quit spelling after 6. And it shows in his writing that he knows how to spell. My other ds is 10 and he can ace nearly every spelling test but it doesn't show in his writing. So he's doing his Rod & Staff phonics based spelling lessons for at least a couple more years! :D

Cinder