Menu

I have (up to now) completely ignored all the LOF posts

Now, I am finding myself needing to find something for my ds.

I went to the site, but it looked like there was just text. I didn't see any problems to work on the sample. There surely are problems that need worked though, right? I'm looking primarily at Algebra on up.

I'd love to hear if there are indeed problems, about how many per day; also, what a day's work looks like (ie; reading how much, problems, amount of time needed per lesson, etc.)

TIA!

There are problems to do every day, but not many.

Each chapter is just 1-3 pages of hilarious, wonderfully explanatory text, followed by 5-10 problems. Every five (?) chapters there is a "bridge"--these are five pages of review problems. The book says you don't have to do all the bridges if you pass the first one successfully, but I require dd to do all of them.

I love-love-love LoF, as does dd, but I think more drill is needed to help the concepts stick. Dd also does MUS and supplemental math facts drill or games when we get to it. So, an ideal day for us in a perfect world would have her do 5 minutes of math facts drill, then a chapter of LoF, and 2 pages of MUS. If she is doing bridge activities in LoF we do one a day for a week, with the MUS pages and math facts drill.

Our reality doesn't always match that ideal but we just keep plowing forward as best we can.

There are problems to do every day, but not many.

Each chapter is just 1-3 pages of hilarious, wonderfully explanatory text, followed by 5-10 problems. Every five (?) chapters there is a "bridge"--these are five pages of review problems. The book says you don't have to do all the bridges if you pass the first one successfully, but I require dd to do all of them.

I love-love-love LoF, as does dd, but I think more drill is needed to help the concepts stick. Dd also does MUS and supplemental math facts drill or games when we get to it. So, an ideal day for us in a perfect world would have her do 5 minutes of math facts drill, then a chapter of LoF, and 2 pages of MUS. If she is doing bridge activities in LoF we do one a day for a week, with the MUS pages and math facts drill.

Our reality doesn't always match that ideal but we just keep plowing forward as best we can.

Do you have the Companion book? This would add more problems for everyday, right?

Every five (?) chapters there is a "bridge"--these are five pages of review problems. The book says you don't have to do all the bridges if you pass the first one successfully, but I require dd to do all of them.

There are no bridges in Algebra. I suspect there are none in the high school series.

We used Algebra 1 with Home Companion last year. If you look at the sample for the Home Companion, you will see some problems. The HC was created, in part, because there was much feedback that the student book did not have enough problems.

The HC breaks Algebra into 108 lessons. That's 3lessons/wk for 36weeks. That's 3 pages of humorous reading and maybe 15 problems in general. They are not 15 similar problems, they are 15 completely different problems. At the end of each chapter, there are 6 "cities" with maybe 10 problems each. The student does 2 cities a day. It probably took my son 30min-1hr per day depending on the lesson.

If you are interested, my review is in this thread.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

There are no bridges in Algebra. I suspect there are none in the high school series.

There are no bridges in Algebra through the rest of the curriculum, including Statistics and Calculus. Compared to other programs I've seen, it moves fast.

LOF is a math program for a good reader and a visual learner That's important. The layout uses numerous text fonts, funny hand drawings, and other weirdnesses that are part of its charm. But for my 50-year-old eyes, it's a visual nightmare.

We are using LOF every year. But I add problem sets from NEM or NAM for two reasons: (1) I want more practice sets than LOF + Companion provides and (2) I like having a slightly diffferent slant on the subject. My ds is a math-lover, so he handles this amount of material easily, YMMV.

I would offer to sell you our used Algebra book, but ds still reads it for fun, even 3 years after he studied it. It's that good :)

Karen

We love LoF. Of course, my dd's are good readers, visual learners, etc. In the Beginning Algebra & the Geometry books there are problems periodically in the chapter with answers given, and then there are six cities per chapter of problems. The first 2 have the answers in the text. The second 2 cities have half the answers in the text, and the last 2 no answers in the text. The answers are in the Home Companion, which also includes extra problems if you need them.

My 49 year old eyes have no problem with all those things in the text, but that's probably because I'm rather visual & a good reader, or something like that. I don't even need my reading glasses for it.

Guest Horseymom

I have both books of LOF (2 different levels)...we love them, I do find that I like to give him additional work from the Algebra book by Saxon..I think it is important for a child to recognize different ways to see problems written and still be able to work the equation. I think any Algebra book would work for extra problems..I'm sure you could find some extra ones online and print them out. As far as the teaching aspect, LOF works best for my son and he enjoys it! (We used Saxon all the way up to this point)

T

I have both books of LOF (2 different levels)...we love them, I do find that I like to give him additional work from the Algebra book by Saxon..I think it is important for a child to recognize different ways to see problems written and still be able to work the equation. I think any Algebra book would work for extra problems..I'm sure you could find some extra ones online and print them out. As far as the teaching aspect, LOF works best for my son and he enjoys it! (We used Saxon all the way up to this point)

T

:iagree:We do Algebra 1 twice, which does the same thing. I think that for any Algebra program, it's good to do some questions from another text or else do Algebra 1 twice.

My son loves this Algebra program...I got it for him after a few misses with other Algebra programs. He started reading the book (he wasn't really *scheduled* to start until September, but we got it in July and he wanted to investigate), and literally does not want to stop doing it! He had completed nearly all of it within a month. He has 2 chapters to go, and he can't wait to start the next book...He works on it (by choice lol) for about 3 or 4 hours a day!! Go figure!