Menu

Why do they need to know so much???

Some of the requirements of No Child Left Behind are related to results by various groups. The law requires certain test results not just by the school population as a whole but by individual groups (racial or ethnic) as well.

The school cannot measure their results with a group unless they have identified which test scores go with which group.

Sebastian

An Anglo-Dano-Rhine Franken-Bavarian-American

That makes sense. Thank you Sebastian. The part I bolded cracked me up. When I started reading it I thought for sure it said, "Sebastian and Anglo-Dano-Rhino..." hehehehehe I had to do a double take. :p But in my defense it was very late at night and I was more than a little sleepy. I think my eyes were playing tricks on me. :p hehehehe

I am testing coordinator for a charter school in California. This information is used to determine your school's achievement levels in comparison to like schools and to determine the expectancy band based on income, education levels, race, etc. The federal government has added the stipulation this year that "decline to state" is no longer an acceptable response, so all demographic questions must be answered. The income levels determine eligibility for the National School Lunch Program, and are used to determine eligibility for other programs and, often, grants. In summary, the information is collected for statistical purposes in our data-driven system.

Thank you for the informed response. :) I wanted to ask you since you are in the know, do you know what happens to these forms AFTER the data has been entered?? Do they take steps to protect the families from identity theft??

I got this one in the mail yesterday afternoon. I signed my son up for the Medwaiver when he was 3 years old. The medwaiver is financial help from the government for people who are raising children with disabilities. My son has been on the waitlist for over 5 years now. I called the office last year to ask them where my son was on the wait list and they told me that they were serving applicants from February 2005. I'm figuring the kid will probably be 18 by the time they get around to us IF the program is still even available. :rolleyes: Well, I got this letter in the mail yesterday from the agency for persons with disablilities giving me an "update" on our Medwaiver status. Firstly, it was addressed to my son and addresses him as Dear Mr. ______ hehehe This is what the letter says....

The Agency for Persons with Disabilities (APD) is completeing the Questionaire for Situational Information (QSI) assessment for individuals on the Medicaid waiver waiting list.

The information gathered from the assessment process will provide the agency updated information about your individual service needs, projected needs for all individuals on the waitlist now and in the future, and help the agency with future legislative budget request.

The QSI is a tool designed to gather key information about your life and need for supports. The attached brochure will give you more information about the assessment tool.

Please contact Jacqui Truby at (954) 547-0967 to schedule an appointment for the completion of the QSI.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Jacqui Truby

QSI Assessor

Then I took a look at the brochure that came with the letter. It is a photocopied single piece of paper that has been folded and the title is, (I kid you not) "The QSI and YOU" I almost lost it! At some point you've just gotta laugh at this stuff!

So now I have to call Jacqui at the APD to make an appointment to come in to the office to take the QSI so that they can gather yet even MORE information on my family in addittion to the application that I filled out 5 years ago that was like a book it was so long! And I will not be suprised one bit if 5 years from now (or longer) I get a letter from the APD telling me that they no longer offer Medwaiver. Call me a cynical, but at some point you've just gotta laugh. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ibbygirl

Well, if it makes any difference - this reporting is nothing new. I grew up in FL public schools and I remember filling this out in class - it didn't even go home to the parent! I also remember it as being optional.

So this information has been collected at least as early as the early 1970s, maybe even earlier.

Are you sure the school lunch form was mandatory? It sounds more like an application for reduced or free lunches. I would be hesitant to provide that information.

You don't have to fill out any of that stuff. Give them the basic emergency info, sign the paper that said you got and agree to the code of conduct, and leave the rest blank. Don't ask them, don't mention it to them, just leave it blank.

If you don't fill it out, they will probably call you to point it out. If you continue to ignore it, they will probably fill it out themselves. We can't have unidentified people, can we?:glare:

Yes I always thought the lunch form was optional too. I never returned them with the rest of the packet since they didn't apply to my son and I would get a call from the school saying it has to be filled out even if he doesn't use it and they would send me another one.