Menu

Giving Rep

I have a question or two about this, please help me.

Most of the time, when I give rep, I get a message that says thanks, yada, yada..... Sometimes I try to give rep to the same folks more than once and I get a message saying I can't do that. What is the rule about that? Is it not more than twice in the same day, same session; or do I have to give rep to xxx number of others before I can give to the same person again - what?

Also, lots of times when I give rep, I get no message at all - not even the one that says thanks. Please tell me that it is still going through and I'm not wasting my time doing this, as I do it a LOT, LOL...... Some folks have said that they've given out all theirs for the night, etc. and I've never gotten this message, so how do you know when you can't give any more?

I guess I'm off to try repping people to death just to see what happens......

Thanks,

Regena

think the reasoning behind only being able to give one rep. to one particular person, and then having to "spread it around," so to speak, is to keep the boards from becoming a "popularity" contest (although perhaps they already are!).

I haven't encountered the second problem you're talking about, though, so maybe I'm not giving out enough!

I've decided for myself that when I give out a good rep. that I won't sign my name to it. I was at first, but then I thought, "Maybe I look like I'm trying to get something in return." So then I stopped signing my name. I've decided I don't want to give out bad reps. to people. It's so hard to read "tone" through cyber-space, and I've decided that most negative comments are best just left alone. I can probably ignore 99% of what people say that might be construed as unkind or negative. I think if I encountered a post that was really negative or unkind, and it was directed toward me in some way, that perhaps the better way to handle the situation is to send a private message to that individual explaining my views and how their post perhaps came across as offensive.

I'm glad you brought this up! There does seem to be a new "board etiquette" and general learning of the rules-type thing going on, so these are good points that you've brought up!

Well, darn, I can't give you rep as I've just managed to give out too much, LOL, but that answered my questions for me. I do sign my name as I always like to see who's sending me comments. It just helps me to understand better what they're saying, I think, as I feel like I "know" some of the personalities. So I do like it that most folks sign theirs. I might interpret a comment differently from one person than I would from another - if that makes any sense, so doing this helps me to interpret the written word, which can sometimes be tricky in trying to read "tone".

Yes, I would agree that I do not post comments in order to "get anything back", so I guess this constitutes my official notice of that, LOL. I just feel that it allows me to make my little comments about something funny or something I agree with, etc., that's really not part of the main thread. We couldn't do that before, so when one posted an aside, it might sometimes take the whole thread off course. I don't like to do that, so this is my way of making an aside without causing disruption.

I certainly hope that the board doesn't get to be about any sort of popularity contest. I have always really enjoyed the wide diversity of folks here and have learned so very much from them. New folks raise interesting questions all the time that help me to rethink topics I might really find useful, too. So I think the questions are useful for all of us, as well as the answers.

I totally agree with using pm's to try to straighten out problems. I think we have many useful tools with this new board. I didn't think I'd be able to navigate it at all at first, but I think I'm finding that even as an old dog, I can learn at least some new tricks....

Regena

Regena,

I often don't sign my name or even leave a message. Sometimes I just click "I approve" and leave it at that. To me it is the replacement for "ITA!" posts on the old board. In other words, I have nothing to say about this post but I sure do like it!!

I will add a message if there is something in particular that I want to say about the person's post. Or if I rep someone for starting a good conversation I will make a comment about that in the rep message box.

But generally I just leave blank reps, no message no signature! I am the mystery repper!!!:cool:

I had been signing my name when giving reps, but then someone (I can't remember who) said that they didn't sign their names when giving reps because it looked too much like trying to earn "brownie points." So, then I stopped signing my name and did it anonymously (so, it might have been me instead of Kelli in TN giving you reps! Or, perhaps both of us! :) )

Anyway, I don't know what I'll end up doing----to sign, or not to sign---that is the question! :rolleyes:

I can't figure the rep thing out for the life of me. I do leave my name though...I like it when others leave theirs so that is why I do, but hey I'll take unsigned positives too. ;) The big thing that has me mildly amused is that I have been trying to give Colleen a rep for at least 2 weeks and it won't let me. It makes me wonder if it has something to do with her level of rep? The message I get says 'you must spread it around some before giving Colleen rep again.' Now I can't remember the last time I got a rep to go through for Colleen....so I don't get that message.