Menu

CD Pre-Algebra: How to schedule or plan?

profmom

Working for an hour a day is too loose for me! I want to make sure we get through it this school year! I could count the sections and divide them out over the school year, but I'm sure some will be more difficult than others and require more time.

How do you use it?

Hi!

Day 1: watch dvd lecture, do 1/2 section

Day 2: finish section

Don't worry about having a lesson plan. It will seem loose, but you will get it done in less than a year. Ds finished in 6 months. Dd will take closer to 8 months.

Ok! Thanks Beth! Loose = scary, but I'll give this a try! It's good to know that your dc had no problem finishing with this plan! :001_smile:

Loose won't work with my ds - he's just not there right now. He is scheduled to complete one objective each day. I timed the DVD by objective, so that each day he only watches the video for what he needs to accomplish that day, making the chunks seem more reasonable to both of us.

These are his course instructions:

Daily Assignments - Your daily assignment consists of the following steps, which should be completed in order:

1)Make corrections to your previous work as needed. Be sure to review the DVD, textbook or ask for help if you need to do so.

2)Watch the DVD lesson, working all examples and taking notes. You may pause, rewind and re-watch the DVD as often as you need to. The section to watch is noted in the “directions” portion of your assignment sheet and typically covers one objective.

3)Complete the “You Try It’ problems. Check the answers in the back of the book. If your answers are incorrect, re-read the text and either watch the DVD again or ask for help. Once the answers to the “You Try It” problems are correct, proceed to the next step.

4)Complete the first 15 odd numbered problems for each objective. Show all of your work. Credit will not be given for work that is not shown.

5)Read the next objective section in the textbook and note any vocabulary terms in preparation for the next lesson.

Chapter Review Exercises – There is a chapter review at the end of each chapter. Follow these steps:

1)Complete all questions in the chapter review in preparation for the chapter test. Make sure you show all of your work.

2)Check your work in the Student Solutions Manual.

3)Review the objectives for the problems that were not completed correctly, the re-work the missed problem.

4)Review the DVD and/or ask for help if you do not get the correct answer the second time that you work the problem.

Preparing for your test – This consists of four primary tasks:

1)Make sure you have kept up with all of your work and understand the concepts as you do your daily work, having made corrections as you work through the problems.

2)Read the chapter summary carefully, making sure you understand the bold type words and any examples that are given. Review the section/objective if needed.

3)Complete the chapter review exercises as directed.

4)Make sure you understand all of the concepts, re-watching the DVD, asking for help and contacting the course instructor as needed.

Chapter Tests:

1)Complete all problems on the chapter tests, showing all formulas and steps. Partial credit can be earned for pre-algebra problems. This means that if a step is missing, it is assumed to be incorrect.

2)You do not have a time limit for your chapter tests. You can expect an average of 1 to 1 ½ hours in length.

3)Your teacher will score your test and return it to you.

4)Correct any errors, reviewing the textbook and getting help as necessary.

Cumulative Reviews – the purpose of the cumulative review is to help you remember the material you have covered previously. Follow these steps:

1)Complete all problems in the cumulative review, showing all work.

2)Your teacher will check your work and review with you as needed.

3)Be sure to correct any mistakes, so that your reviews are thorough and serve as true reviews.

4)After you complete the cumulative review, be sure to complete the Prep Test and preview the first objective in the following chapter.

Techwife, you just saved both myself and my son from so much future aggravation. He NEEDS these step-by-step directions. In addition, they are not from me ... LOL ... and therefore won't seem nearly as unreasonable!

Thanks again [and I am certain I will continue to thank you throughout the year].

How nice of you to share! I'm going to be bold and ask-do you have them for Algebra as well? :001_smile: While planning I've discovered we already covered most of prealgebra in Lial's, so I'll have dd take the chapter tests and only work on what we need to. I'd still love to see your prealgebra plans (for when my other kids are ready for prealgebra), so I'll send you a pm. Thanks again!