Menu

Testing recommendation needed.

Catherine

I have three boys. The first two are quite bright-qualified for talent search, ahead of grade level since starting school, etc.

Not so my third son. I'm trying to figure out where to go with him. Of note, he is the only one who's never been to brick and mortar school. He is 8 now, and we are struggling mightily to finish Rightstart math level C, which is second grade level. RS is rigorous, and I know it's not unusual for kids to take more than one year to finish. But, I just think this child is struggling waaay more than his brothers ever have. I'm considering getting him tested, or better yet, just doing some kind of home screening myself to figure out if we need to pursue any other evaluation. He may simply be less bright than they are. I also wonder if these are simply behavioral issues. He has never been forced to adhere to a schedule set up by someone else. So, maybe just maturity problems.

So can anyone recommend some kind of screening for LDs I can do myself? TIA.

If you feel comfortable with your local schools you can start there and request testing based on the fact that he is struggling. I am also in Maryland and have been happy with the testing I have had with 3 kids (2 homeschooled) although as you well know the counties vary in how they deal with homeschoolers.

If you are unhappy with the option of starting with your local schools you can contact Kennedy Kreiger as they will do testing or give you recommendations if you think you might be dealing with learning disabilities.

If you're older two are gifted, it's very likely that your younger one is too. Kids can be gifted and learning disabled and can present quite a different picture from either by itself. Google "twice exceptional" or "2e" to see if the descriptions fit.

A book that may be helpful is The Mislabeled Child by Brock and Fernette Eide. They also have a blog called the Eide Neurolearning Blog that has a lot of information about 2e kids (and adults).

If you do end up having him evaluated, be sure that the evaluator has lots of experience with 2e kids. If they don't have that experience, it is likely that they will miss both the giftedness and the learning disabilities. I know, my son has been evaluated three times and only once (the most recent time) was his 2e-ness uncovered.

:iagree:Completely. My oldest is 2E. We are in the process of having my DD6's tested right now.

There is an interesting thread going here http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/52318/1.html about gifted and non-gifted siblings. Most, not all, but most siblings are actually within a given range of each other where IQ is concerned, widely viewed as a 10 point range.