Menu

Teaching Piano In K

rousselab

Does anyone have any suggestions for a series of piano instruction books that they just love using for their 5 year old? My daughter is very interested in learning to play, and I took piano for years and am able to teach her. Just not sure what books might be best for her age. I am considering "Music For Little Mozarts" and "Music In Me". Small samples of both can be viewed at christianbook.com.

Does anyone have experience using either of these, or any other piano instruction books for this age? I am leaning towards Music In Me, but not sure if they may not be age appropriate for her?

Thanks! :)

Anita

I never took piano, but I knew enough about music to teach them the piano basics. I used Alfred's because it was so clear on how to teach and had cute little songs. I could pick out enough to play some of the "teacher" parts as they played their part. It was so fun! I liked how they showed how to hold the fingers---like there's a bubble and you don't want to pop it! That helped my kids keep from getting used to playing with straight fingers/flat hands, or holding their hands down, sort of leaning on the palm of the hand! Anyway, it worked well for my kids. I'm not sure they had some of the other choices when I was teaching my kids, though, so I'm sure there are other good things as well.

I haven't used either of the two you're considering. I use Bastien's Piano series - my eldest started when he was 5. It has 4 books per level: Lesson, Theory (*so* very important, IMO), Technique/Artistry, Performance.

I've heard Alfred's and John Thompson are also good series.

We've been using Music for Little Mozarts since the spring with my then-barely five year old and three and a half year old daughters. They really like the stories and haven't lost interest in the books yet (and we're finishing the second one). I will say that it helps if there's a grown-up around that can play the accompaniment (gosh, wouldn't it be great if I could spell?), otherwise it could get dull. My girls LOVE playing with someone and it's the highlight of their week (if they practice like I ask, then once a week Daddy sits with them and plays). I've never seen the other one you're considering, but I recommend this one.

Had not seen the Faber My First Piano Adventures. Went to their website and saw videos about it. Looks great! WOW. Also, saw the online Piano Adventures Primer Teaching Guide With Videos, which increased my interest. How neat! Has anyone use this with a student who has moved on into Piano Adventures Primer? http://faberpiano.com/guide/

Of course they have the online video lesson guide for the My First Piano Adventures as well. http://faberpiano.com/myfirst/videoguide.html

I'm excited about this one! Thanks for all of the great advice! :)

Edited by rousselab