Menu

Netflix and SOTW 3

moki4

:confused:bumping my own question...

maybe Monday morning would have been a better time to post!

Anyways, I will check again. I KNOW there are others doing SOTW 3 and would LOVE some suggestions for NEtflix historical biographies, or historical fiction.

Thanks in advance:)

We're still working through SOTW3, but here are some we watched:

Liberty's Kids

Johnny Tremain

Just the Facts-Declaration of Independence

Inspiring Heroes: George Washington

The Howards of Virginia

Keeping the Promise

The Pirate

National Geographic: Jamestown

Shakespeare: The Animated Tales

Anybody have something like this for SOTW4? I'm in the planning stage....

I thought I saw in the SOTW 3 activity guide that SWB has the movie Whale Rider listed in the chapter for New Zealand. I have this on my list to do when we get to that chapter but I haven't watched it myself yet. The previews looked acceptable. I think this would be better for older elementary children and older.

Some other movies I am thinking of incorporating in our history studies are:

A Man for All Seasons (Sir Thomas More and Henry VIII)

Cromwell w/Richard Harris (Parlimentary takeover of England)

The Three Musketeers (Louis XIII and Richelieu) *not sure which one yet

The Man in the Iron Mask (Louis XIV, France) w/Richard Chamberlain

Tale of Two Cities (London & Paris/French Revolution) 1935 version OR

Scarlet Pimpernel (French Revolution c.1789) several to choose from.

The King and I (Siam 1860's)

Gunga Din (India, late 1800's) w/Cary Grant

We are not studying the American History part of SOTW 3 since we did that last year, so this list does not include those movies. Also, I haven't watched these movies so I'm not sure what ages they are appropriate for.

Thanks Michelle!

I will peruse the Netfix cautions (and decide for myself!)

I very much appreciate the suggestions. I know so many of us like the back-up, or ease of just watching a QUALITY movie, albiet fiction or nonfiction.

History comes alive! Thanks for doing the research.:001_smile:

Culloden is done as if the camera were there at the battle: interviews with generals and privates and rebels, a bit of "play by play" type of commentary. It was a good watch. I will request it again when we hit that point in SOTW as my son will probably be able to handle it by then.

It's on a disc that also has "The War Game", descrip:

"Peter Watkins presents a double bill of political, military films he produced for the BBC. In The War Game, winner of the Best Documentary Oscar in 1966, Watkins explores what would happen if nuclear war broke out and Russia attacked England during the Cold War. Culloden is a reenactment of the Battle of Culloden in 1746 between British troops and the Highland clans of Scotland. It includes mock interviews and shows the brutality of the British."

We're still working through SOTW3, but here are some we watched:

Liberty's Kids

Johnny Tremain

Just the Facts-Declaration of Independence

Inspiring Heroes: George Washington

The Howards of Virginia

Keeping the Promise

The Pirate

National Geographic: Jamestown

Shakespeare: The Animated Tales

Anybody have something like this for SOTW4? I'm in the planning stage....

Book 4- The Modern Age

Ch. 4- British Invasions

The Secret Garden- (all ages) Mary Lennox is a strong-willed English girl who is orphaned when her parents die of cholera in India. She's sent to live with her uncle in a lonely English mansion and turns an abandoned garden into a thing of beauty.

Ch. 5- The American Civil War

The Red Badge of Courage- (not rated) Set during the American Civil War. Examines a boy's feelings as he prepares for battle. As the war continues, he comes to terms with the realities of warfare.

Ch. 6- Two Tries for Freedom

Anne of Green Gables- (all ages) Anne Shirley, a talkative, red-headed orphan is adopted by a spinster and her brother on Prince Edward Island, Canada and has all sorts of adventures.

Ch. 16- Moving West

Little House on the Prairie- (all ages) Disney's adaptation of Laura Ingalls Wilder's novel chronicles the family's wagon trek from Wisconsin to Kansas, where dad Charles will claim the family's parcel of land.

Ch. 21- A Revolution Begins and the Great War Ends

Mary Poppins (all ages)- Mary Poppins is the “practically perfect†nanny who shows up just at the right time for the Banks family. The movie is set when women are demanding the right to vote and Mrs Banks is a suffragette.

Ch. 28- The Second World War

The Hiding Place- In WWII Holland, Corrie ten Boom and her family of Christian watchmakers are quietly sheltering Jews in their small house. When Nazis discover them, it leads to concentration camps and a test of faith for Corrie and her sister.

A League of Their Own (ages 10+)- The story of the All American Girls Professional Baseball League. Takes place during WWII.

Ch. 36- Struggles and Assasinations

Dr Martin Luther King Jr: A Historical Perspective- An hour long documentary that focuses on the Civil Rights leader's many accomplishments. Includes the “I Have a Dream†speech.