Menu

Help! How do YOU distribute your time?

sahm99

I will have three students this year: K, 2nd grade and 4th grade.

Last year I used to spent about 1 hour with each, while the others were working independently (or supposed to...).

While looking over the subjects and resources we will work on this coming year, a new idea popped up in my mind: I am wondering, whether it is realistic to have ALL of them working on the same subject at the same time - but each one at their level (math and LA):confused:.

This way, even if we got sidetracked, at least I knew where to pick up, and all of them were likely to get the essentials done...

We would start with Latin (phonics for my K-student), then math, then LA. Those would fill about three hours in the morning. History and science would be left for alternate days in the afternoon.

I really do appreciate spending individual time with each child...but I am just not sure this is the most "efficient" way to do school, for us... Just deciding with whom to start seems impossible, as I know the other two will somewhat "loose" that timeslot (there is just so much they can do independently, without any prior instruction and guidance...).

I am looking forward to hearing what you think about my idea...! Maybe someone has tried the same? And, most importantly, what are your "secrets" concerning the distribution of your time???

TIA!

I will have a 4th grader, 2nd grader, and kindergarten guy this fall too. I have tried it both ways.

When I have everyone do math at the same time I get frustrated when more than 1 needs help. But if I can stagger who is learning a "new" thing so only one child a day needs one on one time, then it works pretty well.

How I ended last year was starting my older 2 on their independent work - each got a written list of things to do - while I worked with my (then) pre-k guy. What I liked about that is that is propelled the older 2 towards independent work. My children seem to have a strong preference for hand holding - they would love nothing better than if I sat right beside them while they did math, encouraging them as they went, rubbing their little backs and exclaiming "good job!" every time they triumphantly finished a problem. I don't have time for that. ;) Doing the "here's your list, get started thing" really helped my oldest become much more independent and that's a good thing. Since he'll be 4th this fall, I really want to continue in that vein.

I might just be rambling - it's definitely tough to schedule that many kids, that young.

You need to go through your options and see what your 4th grader can do independently. And yes, he ought to have either a daily checklist or things in order to work them or something, again to facilitate him with self-motivation. He might be able to do his handwriting, math drill, grammar, etc. independently, and you might also find some more things to add to his independent work stack. When my baby was born last year, my dd, then 4th gr, was able to do much of her work independently in that way, just by tweaking what I used and putting it all on a list. I don't think it's wise to go entirely independent, but surely some of it could be. And your 2nd grader could read or have intentional busywork (word searches, computer time, Complete a Sketch, etc.). You want to make a flowchart and see how it all works out, then have a list for each dc so they know exactly what comes next and what they should be going to do if you're busy.

I also teach my dd the difference between MY time and her time. School time is my time, and she's not to be off doing whatever or disappear reading comics or something. ;)

You'll probably have to get into it a bit before you find a schedule that works for you. I know adding the baby to our mix has been interesting. We basically went back to the drawing board, thinking about how we like to live, when naps are, etc. We've slowly built up over the last few weeks and added things, changed the order when it hasn't worked. You'll get there.

I tend to start my day with my youngest and work upwards. Each child has a list/planner and knows what to work on, so the olders can work on ahead while I work with my first grader. Then on to the next age level etc. It seems to work well for me this way, and my other kids know what to go on with because it is written on their planner.

As for your idea of doing same subject at the same time, we kind of do that in that they pretty much follow the same progression of subjects throughout the day, but I find that what takes one child 10 mins may take another 20 mins etc. So they end up not on the same subject anymore - but it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, hope that helps.

I start by making a list for each child of their curriculum/subjects for the year. Beside each I write how many days per week (so I can alternate some), how much time is required with me, and how much time can be done independently. For example, on my 5th graders list was

Singapore Math 5 days 10 minutes/35 minutes

Spelling 3 days 0 minutes/20 minutes

etc.

Then I can take the list and total up how much time is required of me per child and how much school time each child has total. Once that's done I put together a schedule and rotate through the kids. You can see our schedule for this year on my blog. We have a 5th, 3rd, K, and toddler.