Menu

What's the best OTC pain reliever for dental pain?

Long story short, I'm having pain where I had a filling done (need a part ground down a bit), but I can't get into the dentist until next week. Right now, it feels like someone is sticking an ice pick into my gum, and Motrin is not even touching it (though it solved the sore jaw from my night grinding due to the filling issue). Is there a better pain reliever for this? I know Motrin is a muscle relaxant, which is not what's hurting here, obviously.

The left side of my mouth thanks you in advance!

Oil of clove (Herbs for Kids makes Gum-o-mile), applied directly to the tooth/gums works very well. Like Orajel, but better. You can also make yourself a cup of tea, then chomp down on the teabag for a while. The tannins in tea ease dental pain.

Hope it feels better soon!

When ibuprofen doesn't help a toothache, sometimes swishing Listerine helps me - for about 15 minutes. I think the alcohol or whatever is in there numbs the area.

I hope you find something that helps. After years of neglecting dental care due to no insurance or lack of money, I've spent thousands on dental work in the last few years. I know your pain.

Amy

When my daughter had her braces adjusted, the pain from was so bad she would not eat for a day or two. This was not good as she is already such a lighweight that her pediatrician often questions me about her eating habits! One of the technicians in the ortho office recommended giving her both Tylenol AND Motrin (or in our case, generic acetaminophen and ibuprofen) just before the adjustment. This did the trick for her. You can double up on these medications because one is secreted through the liver and the other through the kidneys, but if you have any doubts, call your dentist!

Edited by JenGeorgia

When my daughter had her braces adjusted, the pain from was so bad she would not eat for a day or two. This was not good as she is already such a lighweight that her pediatrician often questions me about her eating habits! One of the technicians in the ortho office recommended giving her both Tylenol AND Motrin (or in our case, generic acetaminophen and ibuprofen) just before the adjustment. This did the trick for her. You can double up on these medications because one is secreted through the liver and the other through the kidneys, but if you have any doubts, call your dentist!

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of pain I'm having too. I have a crown that had too much space around the sides, so when my dentist filled the cavity that resulted in between it and the next tooth, she built it out a bit so there would be some contact. It's become obvious that the build-out is too big and is pushing the tooth and crown, creating the tiniest of misalignments. It's excruciating, and I've been fantasizing about ways to scrape that material out myself! I never had braces, but I cannot imagine a whole mouthful of this pain on a regular basis. Your poor DD!