Menu

VA homeschoolers: NOI question

Actually, more is required now than in 2007.

You have to attach the subjects you will teach and what you will use to teach it.

This should help you:

http://www.heav.org/law/intent/index.html

How do I comply with the new Virginia homeschool law?

1) First, you must indicate on a NOI form or by letter that you have met one of four options given in §22.1-254.1 (A). The new law states that a parent may homeschool if he

(1) has a high school diploma; or

(2) is a certified teacher; or

(3) provides a program of study or curriculum which may be delivered through a correspondence course or distance learning program or in any other manner; or

(4) provides evidence that he is able to provide an adequate education for the child.

2) Then, you must provide proof that you have met one of the four options listed above by attaching the following forms of verification.

• Option (1) can be satisfied by attaching a copy of a high school diploma or higher degree from either parent;
  • Option (2) can be satisfied by attaching a certificate or letter of eligibility indicating teacher certification;
  • Option (3) can be satisfied by including evidence of enrollment, such as a receipt for payment, letter of acceptance, or enrollment contract; or for an individualized curriculum, a copy of the table of contents or scope and sequence;
  • And option (4) can be satisfied by a well-written statement indicating why you are able to provide an adequate education for your child.

For option 4, you might briefly state that because you are the parent, you know your child best and you are able to determine his academic needs. You might also say you plan to exercise diligence in teaching your child and will be using a well-planned curriculum. Although the superintendent cannot judge your reasons, he will determine if your statement exhibits a mastery of language, basic grammar, and spelling.

3) You must also include a description of curriculum for the option you have chosen. A brief listing of the subjects to be taught and the titles of the books or methods you plan to use should be sufficient. It is not necessary to provide lesson plans or send your textbooks to the superintendent.

Edited by nestof3

I just listed the curricula I am using- names of textbooks and such. I didn't even give a description of how I am teaching it. Is that new?

Ooops. I just reread the rule. It says "textbooks or methods." A list of textbooks is fine. I guess they only want to know how you plan to teach a subject if you are not using a textbook, like maybe unschoolers or people who like to use just library books etc. to teach. I should have read more carefully the first time.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Virginia.pdf

You don't have to get to deep into your description of your curriculum. All the law requires is a list of subjects you plan to teach. Your local Superintendent of Schools may interpret the law differently, or flatly demand more. It's up to you whether you humor him/her or not.

The Superintendent of Schools in Va Beach got a bit obnoxious around August 15th, so uncounted numbers of families simply went the religious exemption route.

I live in Norfolk, and we've had little or no drama.

I'm not big on conflict, but I hope no one is catering excessively to any unreasonable demands. The more we cater, the more they're likely to demand.

Please give them the minimum.

:iagree:

I agree with the minimum rule of thumb, and I understand the difficulty that may ensue if too much is provided. When I filed two years ago, I provided the bare minimum. In Fairfax County, they should be thrilled that I am not adding three more students to their already crowded classrooms.

I agree with Elizabeth. When we lived in VA beach they seemed a bit to big for their britches, here in Chesapeake we've had no issues.

For this year my "description" was something like this

Everett's curriculum will include grammar, writing, spelling, teaching textbooks 5, early modern history and chemistry.

So as you can see, I didn't even go into specifics for LA and they never questioned me.

I wish they would just let me put "High School Diploma on file" since I've now sent in 3 of them over the last few years since moving back from FL. Maybe I'll have to check with the lady in the office here, she's usually pretty nice about things like that.

I agree with Elizabeth. When we lived in VA beach they seemed a bit to big for their britches, here in Chesapeake we've had no issues.

I have never once been contacted by the city in my 10 years of homeschooling, but I admit that I always put together a nice presentation as a sort of "I dare you to knock on my door" sort of challenge. Not really, but I figure I am one of the faces of homeschooling they will encounter, and I think first impressions speak loudly. I aim to impress.

I have never once been contacted by the city in my 10 years of homeschooling, but I admit that I always put together a nice presentation as a sort of "I dare you to knock on my door" sort of challenge. Not really, but I figure I am one of the faces of homeschooling they will encounter, and I think first impressions speak loudly. I aim to impress.

Y'all are making me chuckle, because I struggled with this very issue when sending in my notice for the first time this year. I don't believe in giving them any more info than necessary, but I wanted a good presentation for the same reason as Dawn:tongue_smilie:. In the end, I listed all the subjects and some of the textbooks we'll be using. I put a grade, but no birthdate.

I understand the requirements to be:

You don't have to list all subjects:just math and language arts. And you don't have to go into great detail about them.

You don't have to put birthdays, ages, or grades.

Some localities do seem to overstep their authority on occasion.

Newport News sent a letter around to hs'ers asking for birthdates a couple of years ago, and got a quick response from HSLDA telling them it was not required by law. They(The City of NN) sent a retraction to parents.

Many localities offer online filing, or will provide you with a NOI to fill out, but they ask for info not required by law (such as grade and dob). The only one I saw that notated this information was optional was the VABeach online NOI.

Edited by Blessedfamily