Menu

Duke TIP DNA research

AndyJoy

My husband scored well in the Duke TIP 7th grade Talent Search. He just got a letter asking him to send a cheek swab DNA sample because they are conducting research on "genetic markers associated with high levels of intellectual fuctioning as well as those associated with developmental delays." They received a grant from the John Templeton Foundation for this research. I'm curious--has anyone else been contacted, and are you going to participate?

How on earth did they find him after all these years?

I would be very curious if this was legit or a scam, I'd probably be too paranoid to participate. (Not that they could find women as easily, considering surname changes and moving and all that.)

• 3 weeks later...

I would want to know and give serious consideration to what they are doing with it, will his name be attached, etc. They would now own that information about your husband and therefore, information about your children as well.

Personally, I wouldn't do it because I don't like the idea that my DNA is in a database somewhere, and it's always somehow traceable to you eventually and they are always merging databases, renting out the info for other researchers, etc.

I *freaked* when I learned that the hospitals take our kids' DNA at birth and keep it on record with the state and that the info is in a database (which they are now calling for merging with other databases into one big national databank) forever, as well as given out to research companies. All without any parental notification whatsoever... totally immoral and in our state (Minnesota), illegal, but that doesn't stop them.