Menu

KISS Grammar--I don't get their website

Haiku

Yes, KISS covers diagramming but teaches it in a little different way. A simpler way in my opinion. Before I "got" KISS, I made a point to take a couple of weeks and read his online book "Teaching Grammar as a Liberating Art." Go to the KISS site, click on "Theory and Research," and you'll find it. Once you read it, the site should make more sense as well as how to use the workbooks. I was really excited to use it once I read the book because I began to see grammar in a whole new way. In fact, it helped ME with my knowledge of grammar!

Double thank you from me!

I'm really drawn to KISS grammar - it seems so practical yet academic and all the way free. So hard to resist.

I'll go read his article and pray for divine understanding.

I've spent the last week surfing his site and it mostly gives me a headache.

T

The program looks very good, and my husband looked through the 2nd grade workbook and really liked it, but I kinda feel like I don't necessarily want to tackle a program that is so complex that it requires weeks of voluminous reading to understand the theory behind it. Do I really have to read everything? SWB put together a darn good grammar program that doesn't require anyone to read pages and pages and pages of research and theory to successfully implement.

I haven't read much on the site because it's so overwhelming, but it seems to me that this man is hindering his goals, however fantastic his program may be, by making his website such an utter nightmare.

Tara

You have to really want to learn the program. The reason why the website is difficult to get IMO, is that he is trying to explain an entire college semester's worth of grammar into one website. He is teaching grammar in a way few of us have ever learned it or seen it before. Therefore, to really grasp it well, I think we have to make the effort to learn it ourselves. It took me about two weeks of periodic reading to thoroughly "get" the concept and website, but oh, it was worth it! I'm excited to use it this year. But I can understand for busy moms how the website is off-putting. In fact, it put me off for at least a year before I was determined to figure it out.

I'm also planning on using KISS grammar this year. I will second the plug for the Yahoo group. In the files section is a pretty basic tutorial that gives step-by-step directions on navigating the website. I found that quite helpful.

The literature which is intertwined is genius! And the little pictures on each page are darling.

I just looked at the worksheets and didn't read any of the background, so maybe someone who has can answer this.... Why start so young with some of the complex topics?

For instance, many grammar programs don't get to Appositives and Gerunds until middle school.

Just wondering....

Thanks!

Yes, KISS covers diagramming but teaches it in a little different way.

Is it actually diagramming or is it more like parsing? I'm not necessarily wedded to the idea that we have to diagram, but I'm not completely sure that I don't want to diagram, either.

It took me about two weeks of periodic reading to thoroughly "get" the concept

Can you give me a brief rundown? I was reading last night about his idea of proximal learning zones, but I haven't really yet gotten a grasp of exactly what makes this program *so* different from others, as he claims.

Tara

I joined the KISS Yahoo group and am working through their file on Getting Started with KISS, and things are making more sense to me now. The website is still a disaster, but at least I am getting some guidance into where to find the information I need.

Tara

In reading more about KISS and in comparing it to what I was intending to use, Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons (very similar to Serl's PLL but FREE from Google Books), it appears that KISS is more of a mechanics (identify the parts of speech) program and that PLL is more of a usage program (learning contractions, learning how to use quotations, learning about present and past tense and abbrevations, etc.). I really like to premise of KISS, but when do you learn the usage stuff?

Tara

In reading more about KISS and in comparing it to what I was intending to use, Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons (very similar to Serl's PLL but FREE from Google Books), it appears that KISS is more of a mechanics (identify the parts of speech) program and that PLL is more of a usage program (learning contractions, learning how to use quotations, learning about present and past tense and abbrevations, etc.). I really like to premise of KISS, but when do you learn the usage stuff?

Tara

Hi Tara, I'm tracking with you re:KISS and I'd like a peek at Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons -- can you link me? Pretty Please?

WArmly, Tricia

The program looks very good, and my husband looked through the 2nd grade workbook and really liked it, but I kinda feel like I don't necessarily want to tackle a program that is so complex that it requires weeks of voluminous reading to understand the theory behind it. Do I really have to read everything? SWB put together a darn good grammar program that doesn't require anyone to read pages and pages and pages of research and theory to successfully implement.

I haven't read much on the site because it's so overwhelming, but it seems to me that this man is hindering his goals, however fantastic his program may be, by making his website such an utter nightmare.

Tara

:lol:

:iagree:

Too funny! I had to LOL. I would almost rather read five well organized books on the subject, and then attempt to put my own program together before reading his website. :tongue_smilie:

You'd better inbox me -- I'm holding on with abated breath.

Or, get on the soapbox and let the whole world know . . .

I'm not stingy with the secret of life. :) It's So Delicious Neopolitan "ice cream" with peanut butter on top. It took me 35 years to run this secret down, but now that I know it, wow! What a difference! ;)

I hope I didn't just blow your mind with my profound insight.

How old are your kiddies -- what age group does Mr. Sheldon target?

My kids are 7 and 6 and will be 8 and 7 by the time we get around to next year. I'm assuming that the esteemed Mr. Sheldon is deceased, as his book was published in 1895, and the good man makes no reference in the introductory materials as to his target audience, but after reading basically his whole book, I think it will work fine for my bright second grader. My not as academically blessed first grader may not be ready for it next year. The kind gentleman also offers Advanced Language Lessons, which starts off looking appropriate for a 3rd or 4th grader and ends up looking appropriate for a sixth or seventh grader. It seems to cover a massive amount of ground, far more than PLL.

I'm still in a quandry over KISS or PLL. I'm currently thinking maybe both? And I never thought i would be one of "those people" who used more than one curriculum for a single subject.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
spelling error!!

My kids are 7 and 6 and will be 8 and 7 by the time we get around to next year. I'm assuming that the esteemed Mr. Sheldon is deceased, as his book was published in 1895, and the good man makes no reference in the introductory materials as to his target audience, but after reading basically his whole book, I think it will work fine for my bright second grader. My not as academically blessed first grader may not be ready for it next year. The kind gentleman also offers Advanced Language Lessons, which starts off looking appropriate for a 3rd or 4th grader and ends up looking appropriate for a sixth or seventh grader. It seems to cover a massive amount of ground, far more than PLL.

I'm still in a quandry over KISS or PLL. I'm currently thinking maybe both? And I never thought i would be one of "those people" who used more than one curriculum for a single subject.

Tara

It's really hot here and I'm sun-tired but your little diddy about Mr. Grammarian himself had me giggling. PLL? Come again -- I only decided a month ago that grammar was immensely important.

T

Another thing that concerns me about KISS is that I read in another thread here that someone used it with their kids 10 years ago. It's been around 10 years and it's not done yet? I know it's continually a work in progress, but I don't want to do a few years of it and then have it not be finished when we need to move to the next level.

Tara

Guest LeahinTexas
Another thing that concerns me about KISS is that I read in another thread here that someone used it with their kids 10 years ago. It's been around 10 years and it's not done yet? I know it's continually a work in progress, but I don't want to do a few years of it and then have it not be finished when we need to move to the next level.

Tara

I'm new to the forums (just joined!), but familiar with KISS.

There are three ways to use KISS: Complete workbooks, master booklets and self-paced course. Most homeschoolers use the complete workbooks or the master booklets. They are printable; the self-paced course is online only.

The master booklets are complete through the end of the material. It would be fairly easy to switch from the complete workbooks to the master booklets.

The complete workbooks are designed to be one school year's worth of work.

The master booklets give all the instruction needed and a few exercises, but would probably need to be filled out with more exercises by the teacher.

If someone had gone through a couple of complete workbooks with their students, I believe that person would feel comfortable with using the master booklets and adding additional exercises.

Bottom line: all the instructional material is there, in the master booklets.

There is the yahoo group (called KISSGrammarGroup) here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KISSGrammarGroup/

and there is the KISS List, which is extremely low-volume and the author is available to answer questions. He also gives updates on the site. Here: http://home.pct.edu/~evavra/kiss/KISSList.htm

Hope that helps,

Leah

Guest LeahinTexas
Tara,

This review might help you.

I need to update that review. A bit of terminology has changed.

The Working Independently books have been changed to Master Booklets.

The workbooks (or grade-level workbooks) are now called Complete Workbooks.

Leah