Menu

Grammar reading list - Jane Austen? Which books for that age?

Frontier Mom

I think Emma is the sweetest and easiest for a younger child to understand. Most children will "get" the matchmaking. :)

Most of the other stories have characters with vices better not discussed with a young child. For instance, in Pride & Prejudice the sister runs away with a man without getting married. Or in Sense & Sensibility the young couple is torn apart by the discovery he made another girl pregnant and he is losing his inheritance. That isn't a huge part of the story and could be glossed over or skipped, but I wouldn't want to explain that to a child under 10.

Well, I think it says "by or about" yes? SWB may have been thinking of abridgements or a biographical mention; I wouldn't give a real Austen novel to a grammar-stage kid. I might watch a good movie version, though--one without suggestive scenes (new Northanger Abbey, looking at you!*) or terrible interpretation of the story.

*I actually love this movie, but they had Isabella sleep with Captain Tilney and the scene isn't graphic, but certainly not for an under-12 or so.