Menu

Independent reading

Alice

Ds will be starting 1st grade on Monday. We used OPGTR last year and will continue it this year (we're starting around Lesson 127). This summer I've been having him read to me daily for the library summer reading program. He's been doing great and I've really seen him make huge leaps in his ability. He's reading things like Henry and Mudge fairly easily.

For the fall, I'd like to have him read to himself daily from whatever he chooses. I'll still have him read to me some for practice and fluency and to make sure he's still progressing. My question is how you do the reading alone time....do you ask your child questions about what they read to make sure they are really getting it or in some other way check on their reading during that time or just let them go. My instinct is to just let him do it alone to try and emphasize more of it being something for him to enjoy rather than make it more work for him. But I'm just curious what others do.

I just let my kids read and don't quiz them. sometimes though, they are so into what they've read that they will tell me all about it, and then look back in the book to re-read certain sections to me. also, my kids always bring a book in the car, so often they'll tell me about something while we're driving. it leads to some good discussions and learning points, but I don't force it. reading is too enjoyable for them and I don't want to mess that up! just my opinion though.

My son started reading independently this summer. When he gives me a book and tells me he's finished (they're going on his library reading challenge paperwork) I usually ask him if he liked it or that it looks funny or scary or whatever. He almost always tells me about the book, or at least one interesting or humorous part of it. I'd just keep it casual for now.