Menu

IEP question

I hope it's OK for me to ask this here. (since it's not strictly a homeschooling question but more of a special needs question)

My dd is 9 (10 in December) and has always been homeschooled. We've never had any official interaction with the public school, but I really feel like she needs speech therapy and since we can't afford private therapy (and don't have Medicaid), ps it is.

Is there anything I need to look out for in the IEP meeting? Anyone have any cautions based on experience? The class we're looking at is for low verbal to non-verbal kids (so not a particular grade level), but I'm sure they'll try to "call her" 4th grade. That's already on my list of things to "negotiate" if possible.

I'd appreciate any advice. (And if this isn't appropriate here, I apologize.)

Ours was very low key - but she was a pre-k kid too.

I would try for a younger grade if that is where she would place if you enrolled her - mainly so she won't "age out" of the program. Here our schools are K-5 so she'd only receive services for 2 years.

Good luck, we have had a good experience with speech class - without a lot of progress. Last year was kinda almost a waste because she mastered the sounds the rest of the class needed to keep working on. UGH. So i'm waiting for her to get insurance and going to try to get private.

Have you enrolled her in school yet, or are you hoping to homeschool and still receive therapy?

Every school district is different. I homeschooled my youngest for Kindergarten and she received speech and occupational therapy at the public school (I had to take her to the school, twice a week, for her sessions). The services were free, but not all school districts offer this -- it depends on how much they receive from federal funding and how many homeschoolers request therapy.

(We were also considered a special circumstance -- she had an IEP, with a one-on-one aide, but they couldn't find anyone to fill the position. She couldn't attend school without an aide, so the homeschool / free therapy situation was an agreed-upon-compromise, if that makes sense).

We ended up enrolling our daughter in her current school in 1st grade (and we LOVE it!!!!!) So it may work out that way for your daughter.

Here are my suggestions:

1 - Visit several elementary schools in your school system if possible (we have 3 elementary schools in our area. 1 is where most of the children with special needs are enrolled. Therefore, they tend to have the teachers with the most experience at mainstreaming...they have the best therapists, etc.) Because of my daughter's special needs, she was immediately approved to attend this elementary school, even though it's not in our district. It's in our county, but not the one most of the children in our neighborhood -- and the surrounding neighborhoods -- attend. It's not an issue for our daughter because special needs children have their own bus set-up.

2 - Do some research on your daughter's special need and find out the general consensus as to appropriate physical therapy (how many hours, days, etc.)

3 - Make sure you bring any relevant medical reports to the meeting. For my daughter, I had evaluations from private speech and occupational therapists, listing goals, therapy hours suggested, etc.

4 - Find out if there is a parent or disability advocacy group in your area. We contacted one in our area and one of their advocacy coordinators came to our IEP meeting free of charge. This was very helpful, especially since you're new to this! IEPs are full of 'education-ese' and rather hard to understand at first!

5 - Get involved in your daughter's school! Join the PTA. Volunteer in her classroom.

6 - Don't sign the IEP unless you're happy. If you're not satisfied, feel free to call another meeting and re-negotiate.

Kelly,

Thanks! That's a lot of good info.

1. Our school district is really small (about 900 students K-12), so there is only one elementary school. Our elementary school has no self-contained special ed class, just pullouts (about 45 minutes/day), which doesn't seem to meet my dd's needs. So, the school district wants to (and I agree) bus her to the next district, where they have a self-contained special ed class. (The small districts in the county are all in a co-op and there are 2 self-contained classes in the coop -- for 7 school districts) This particular class will have 5 students, 1 teacher, and 3 aides. (or so says the special ed director, I haven't seen it)

I've been talking to an advocate, but she doesn't attend IEP meetings in our county. She did advise me to get a copy of the IEP ahead of time and fax it to her and we'd redline it together.

Here, in OK, it's up to the school district whether they want to consider a homeschooled child as a "private school student" and allocate funds accordingly. It seems that I'd be able to get very very limited services if I continued to homeschool. (and dh doesn't want me to homeschool her anymore, so that adds pressure that direction ;) )

I'd definitely ask to meet with the teacher beforehand.

She'll likely attend the IEP meeting, but that's such a "formal time" to meet with someone.

I'd contact the school and request a visit. Even though there aren't any students there over the summer, you could likely meet with the teacher and view the classroom.

My daughter's autism class sounds as small as the one you describe! There are 4 full-time students in the class (with several others who are there for certain periods throughout the day). There are numerous aides present, since just about every child in the class has a one-on-one aide, and the therapists are there as well.

I knew, just meeting the teacher and seeing the classroom, that it would be a good fit for my daughter. Even without seeing the other students in the classroom.

Maybe I'll just ask to meet the teacher the same day but earlier? The teachers aren't officially back at school yet and the teacher who has been arranging the meetings (and is really nice) isn't the teacher dd will have.

But you're right, meeting the teacher will be helpful.

I'm still trying to work through the guilty feeling that I'm giving up on her by sending her to school, but meeting the teacher and getting reassurance that this is a good class for her would probably help.

It surely will and I've felt the same way!!!

I've been a homeschooling mom for 15 years. She's the first child we've sent to school - ever - and I still feel guilty about it!

BUT...my daughter LOVES school. She loves her teachers and her therapists and her friends.

She's a very high-maintenance child. And that's to put it mildly! She's the type of child that I have to watch every minute or she's into something. She's in the body of a 7 year old, but it's like still having a toddler. When we tried homeschooling for Kindergarten, I couldn't accomplish anything with my older ones. If left unattended, she's been known to empty all the bookshelves, color on the walls, empty the litter box, pour all of the salt out of the shaker, overflow the bathtub, and turn the faucet on the hotwater heater in the basement!! :willy_nilly:

She needs to go to school for her mother's sake! It's the only thing that saves my sanity. But...I still feel guilty! Knowing that she's in a good school with a great teacher really does help!!

Maybe I'll just ask to meet the teacher the same day but earlier? The teachers aren't officially back at school yet and the teacher who has been arranging the meetings (and is really nice) isn't the teacher dd will have.

But you're right, meeting the teacher will be helpful.

I'm still trying to work through the guilty feeling that I'm giving up on her by sending her to school, but meeting the teacher and getting reassurance that this is a good class for her would probably help.

You dont have to feel guilty about giving up on her, because if the teacher works w/you, there will be a lot of things you can do at home to reinforce skills. Be proactive. You are her best advocate.

Definitely look at three or four schools in your area, if they dont p provide public in your dist. I would push for a non public school. They are better equipped if she is going fulltime. And make sure the school is appropriate, everyone is different. I looked at 5 before finding the right one for my dn.

Finding the right fit is essential.

She's a very high-maintenance child. And that's to put it mildly! She's the type of child that I have to watch every minute or she's into something. She's in the body of a 7 year old, but it's like still having a toddler. When we tried homeschooling for Kindergarten, I couldn't accomplish anything with my older ones. If left unattended, she's been known to empty all the bookshelves, color on the walls, empty the litter box, pour all of the salt out of the shaker, overflow the bathtub, and turn the faucet on the hotwater heater in the basement!! :willy_nilly:

She needs to go to school for her mother's sake! It's the only thing that saves my sanity. But...I still feel guilty! Knowing that she's in a good school with a great teacher really does help!!

That sounds like my dd (who has Down Syndrome, not autism, but still....). My dd is a little Houdini. She can open any lock and I'm constantly on edge about what she's getting into. Pair her with my 4yo and school was hard to accomplish for either girl this year.

Some days I tell myself that if all I got out of school was a time that I could school the others so I could do her school when she got home, it'd still be a help to my sanity.

The only other schools (other than public schools) are at least 40 minutes away. I suppose I could look at the 3 other medium sized districts near us, but I don't even know how I'd start the process of transferring her to a different district (especially since there's an available class in our co-op).

Make sure the goals are measurable. They should have criteria in terms of how well she will perform the skill, and over what period of time/what percentage of the time she will correctly perform the skill in order to demonstrate mastery. Without that, goals can linger, or get taken off in subsequent years when you think they still need to be there. Teachers should be trained to do this correctly, but training varies wildly from district to district and state to state.

I have some advice for an IEP meeting. These are my comments in addition to what you have already been advised :001_smile:

First, ALWAYS tape record your meetings. I can't tell you how many parents have told me, "in the meeting I was told, but now they say...". Make sure you have proof of anything said!

Next, know what you want before you go in. If you want 3, 30 minute speech therapy sessions/week and that is all, know that. If you want your child in the ps classroom with pullouts for speech, know that. If your child is going to be in ps for the first time, you might think about if she will need other accommodations.

An IEP is based on goals. First you determine your child's strengths and weaknesses. Then you set goals to improve weaknesses. The goals must be measurable. For example, She will use "th" sounds at the beginning of words properly 50% of the time in structured interactions with the therapist. This would be measured by the therapist counting when she provides lists of words or opportunities to use the th sound. Once you set the goals, you determine where, with whom and how much time will be needed to accomplish those goals. So, now that we have a goal to work on "th" sounds how many days a week and with whom and where will she work on this? Will it also be worked on in the classroom with a regular teacher or just with the ST?

Remember the IEP "TEAM" writes the IEP. YOU are a member of that team. The school doesn't write an IEP and then you approve or disapprove. You are part of a team working to figure out how to address your child's issues. Treat it that way. Act as if you have every right that they do and that they care just as much as you do. They may prove to be total jerks, but assume they are on your side and there is a good chance they will be.

My final piece of IEP meeting advice - always bring food. I never showed up to an IEP meeting without snacks. Morning meetings meant muffins, afternoons, cookies or brownies. They are appreciated and show that you know you are meeting with people, you care about them and their time. It is good to set the right tone and get things off to a good start.

I have some advice for an IEP meeting. These are my comments in addition to what you have already been advised :001_smile:

First, ALWAYS tape record your meetings. I can't tell you how many parents have told me, "in the meeting I was told, but now they say...". Make sure you have proof of anything said!

Next, know what you want before you go in. If you want 3, 30 minute speech therapy sessions/week and that is all, know that. If you want your child in the ps classroom with pullouts for speech, know that. If your child is going to be in ps for the first time, you might think about if she will need other accommodations.

An IEP is based on goals. First you determine your child's strengths and weaknesses. Then you set goals to improve weaknesses. The goals must be measurable. For example, She will use "th" sounds at the beginning of words properly 50% of the time in structured interactions with the therapist. This would be measured by the therapist counting when she provides lists of words or opportunities to use the th sound. Once you set the goals, you determine where, with whom and how much time will be needed to accomplish those goals. So, now that we have a goal to work on "th" sounds how many days a week and with whom and where will she work on this? Will it also be worked on in the classroom with a regular teacher or just with the ST?

Remember the IEP "TEAM" writes the IEP. YOU are a member of that team. The school doesn't write an IEP and then you approve or disapprove. You are part of a team working to figure out how to address your child's issues. Treat it that way. Act as if you have every right that they do and that they care just as much as you do. They may prove to be total jerks, but assume they are on your side and there is a good chance they will be.

My final piece of IEP meeting advice - always bring food. I never showed up to an IEP meeting without snacks. Morning meetings meant muffins, afternoons, cookies or brownies. They are appreciated and show that you know you are meeting with people, you care about them and their time. It is good to set the right tone and get things off to a good start.

I second the snack idea. I did an experiment. For yrs. I took snacks, well one time , no snacks and it was the most heated IEP I have had. Sugar is a wonderful thing.

:lol: about the sugar!

OK, do I take my dd with me or do I leave her with the babysitter watching the other 2? Seems like if I take her, she seems more like a real person than like a theory we're discussing, but if I take her, I risk being highly distracted.

OK, do I take my dd with me or do I leave her with the babysitter watching the other 2? Seems like if I take her, she seems more like a real person than like a theory we're discussing, but if I take her, I risk being highly distracted.

I wouldnt involve til 14, and working on transition plan. Take a pic, that is what I did when I went to mediation and noone knew her.

If she is a Houdini, make sure you have them include a safety plan in her IEP. They need to know if she escapes from the house or can undo any lock. You may even want to make it sound worse than it is so they will take you very seriously. I have known of children to get out of classrooms and no one notice because the child is usually compliant and doing the requested activity - except that time. A friend of mine has a tracking bracelet on her son now because he kept getting away from an aide that spent too much time talking in the hall and not watching kids. Once they found him across the highway.... (Yes, the aide was fired, but still a scary situation).

This is also a good time to ask about other proceedures like medicines, bus routes, extra clothes, toileting, etc... If any issues come up, they can be worked on as a team.

Most likely the teacher will have an IEP at least partially prepared, if not fully. Some of that is just so the meeting can go faster. That doesn't mean however that the goals and objectives are set in stone. If you approve of them, fine. If you don't, speak up. If you want more or something different, tell them to write it in. When I was teaching special ed, I usually came in with an IEP mostly written if I had any background information about the child at all. You don't even have to sign the IEP in the meeting. Ask for a copy and a week to read it. Then you can sign it or make suggestions. Even if you sign it, it isn't written in stone. You can always request a conference to change things.

You don't even have to sign the IEP in the meeting. Ask for a copy and a week to read it. Then you can sign it or make suggestions. Even if you sign it, it isn't written in stone. You can always request a conference to change things.

I asked if I could pick up a copy of the IEP before the meeting. That way I won't feel blindsided by whatever's in it and the others in the meeting don't have to waste their time watching me read it. They sounded a little surprised but not upset or irritated.

I dont know if anyone mentioned it , but wrightslaw.com is a wealth of info and the book is priceless, it has helped me through many IEP's.

That's on my reading list for the week, along with the OK special ed policies and procedures manual. Hopefully I can pick up a copy of the IEP before the end of the week and read that too. Shouldn't be any insomnia at my house this week!

Leave her with a sitter. We carried a binder with all of our paperwork about our ds. In the front cover we put some adorable pictures of him. People always commented on them. It helped bring him into the meeting without having him there :001_smile:

That's on my reading list for the week, along with the OK special ed policies and procedures manual. Hopefully I can pick up a copy of the IEP before the end of the week and read that too. Shouldn't be any insomnia at my house this week!

Good luck, if you have any questions, perhaps you can go on the hive while you are in the meeting. Tee hee.

Good luck, if you have any questions, perhaps you can go on the hive while you are in the meeting. Tee hee.

Yeah, that'd be great. "Hold on a sec. I've got to ask my online friends what they think of THAT." That'd look sane ;) (Yes, sarcasm is a fault of mine!)

Yeah, that'd be great. "Hold on a sec. I've got to ask my online friends what they think of THAT." That'd look sane ;) (Yes, sarcasm is a fault of mine!)

:lol::lol::lol:

Well my group thinks I am crazy because I keep throwin out recs. from the Hive, and they take them, and I tell them they are from my homeschoolin mom forum.

But they did accept a software prog the Hive mentioned that the district had never heard of. Plus they eat up all our free websites. Those cavemen.