Menu

Real-life reaction to a teen pregnancy.

I have a brother with whom I share a father (we have different mothers.) His mother has another daughter. We have always called each other "sister" even though we are not really related (we just share a brother.)

She is 15, and her mother emailed me tonight to tell me she is pregnant. I cried. My heart hurts for her so much. No judgement - why bother? The deed is done and she now has a baby growing. Her life is forever changed.

However, all is not lost. I had a baby at 17 and it all worked out just fine. It wasn't easy, but not hopeless.

I hope the same for her. And her baby.

I was a teen mom also. Other than I look barely older than my kids, so many years later, it ain't bad at all. I do wish some things had been different along the way, but being older doesn't mean much either. Older parents struggle financially at times, can't do as much as they'd like with their kids, and make dumb mistakes also.

I have absolutely loved being a mom and likely couldn't have been one had I waited. So it worked out :)

I was pregnant at 15 and had my oldest when I was 16. I was able to finish school and I turned out ok. It is a long, hard road, but it surely isn't hopeless.

Me too.

And there is a silver lining. I would not be the person I am today, except for my dd. I was doing drugs, shrugging off most of my school work, and heading down a dark path. Having dd turned me around and gave me a concrete reason to succeed. I was better for having had my dd.