Menu

History for 5th, 1st, and K -- need recommendations

We've used SOTW all the way through, and now I'm looking into the second go-round for my oldest, who LOVES history, along with my rising 1st grader and kindergartner.

I'm planning to use SOTW as my spine again, but I'm thinking that I may need to have a scheduled program to coordinate the supplemental reading (which we never seem to do enough of). OTOH, this year I basically handed my dd SOTW, had her read it all the way through, and I've begun going back through the book via the AG. (I cannot believe how much she remembered about the Civil War!) If I continue with this method, I don't see how I can use a scheduled curriculum, unless I have dd complete a first reading of SOTW before the school year starts.

At any rate, I'm still considering my options. I've looked at TOG recently, along with MOH and HO. It's been a while since I looked at Biblioplan. Of course, I could just stick with SOTW w/ AG only.

What would you use if:

a) you want SOTW w/ AG to be your spine,

b) you have kids the same age as mine,

c) you're an "open and go"/"do the next thing" kind of person,

d) you use a separate writing/grammar program (I'll be using Writing with Ease and FLL)

TIA!

• You could do TOG year 1 and choose some of the LG books and activities for the youngers but focus on the oldest and history instead of doing everything. There are schedules that coordinate SOTW with TOG.
  • History Odyssey has SOTW scheduled - you could use the Level 1 or Level 2 (maybe) for the oldest and let the youngers just follow with the SOTW and AG.
  • You could just do SOTW with the AG (and some WTM logic stage books) and add in Kingfisher or something meatier for the oldest.
  • You could do SOTW/AG and add in the tests for SOTW for the older child. Maybe have the older child read the chapter to the younger ones.

If your oldest is in 5th and still loving history, then you have been doing right. Keep it up.

MOH is an "open and go" curriculum and is Classical in it's approach, just like SOTW. Meaty enough for your oldest (I'm doing it w/ a 6th grader this year) and easy enough for your youngest. MOH1 has a lot of OT History so it really "fills in the gaps" that SOTW has as far as Biblical History (I'm not saying SOTW is lacking, just that MOH has much more Biblical, OT history added in). Great combination if you ask me!

What would you use if:

a) you want SOTW w/ AG to be your spine,

b) you have kids the same age as mine,

c) you're an "open and go"/"do the next thing" kind of person,

d) you use a separate writing/grammar program (I'll be using Writing with Ease and FLL)

This is exactly what I wanted for my 1st and 5th grader this year. We settled on Sonlight Core 6, spread over two years. it uses SOTW as the spine, but has harder supplemental readings for my 5th grader. I use the AG recommendations with my 1st grader. And Sonlight has map and timeline work scheduled in too. it has worked out very well for us.

www.sonlight.com

Do look at Biblioplan to see if it fits you. I am using it with SOTW + AG for our first time through the cycle. What it adds to SOTW are age appropriate readers (books in 3 categories: K-2, 3+, 5+), family read-alouds, plus a few other reference type books (Victor Journey Through the Bible in Ancients, History of Us for years 3 & 4) that all together provide a very rich history experience. It is best suited to folks who love history and love reading.

http://www.biblioplan.net/