Menu

Till what age do you write your child's narrations for them?

Kate in VA

I know at the beginning stages you (the parent) are to write the child's narrations down for them... but until what age or is it by their ability?...... We have not done much of this yet and my dd is in 1st/2nd..... next year we will be working on 2nd/3rd..... but in language arts she is mainly working on a 2nd grade level (late b-day)

thank you!

Kate

I know at the beginning stages you (the parent) are to write the child's narrations down for them... but until what age or is it by their ability?...... We have not done much of this yet and my dd is in 1st/2nd..... next year we will be working on 2nd/3rd..... but in language arts she is mainly working on a 2nd grade level (late b-day)

thank you!

Kate

I still write down the narrations of my 10 year old. he then copies them. he has dyslexia and has a really big problem with spelling. this way he doesn't get so frustrated.;)

MelissaL

It's different for every child. DD9 and enthusiastic writer started in 3rd grade. DS10 only begun doing his own this year. Do you think your child would be able to write their own? When transitioning it can help to share the writing which can make the process less scary.

I have him narrate to me (with prompts) and I write them down. He then copies my writing onto his own paper. Sometimes, when we are pressed for time, I'll just have him copy his sister's (11yo) narrations for History. She does a great job with her narrations and usually I just have ds8 choose 3 key sentences of her narration (w/ help) and copy those down. We don't do that often, but if I am busy w/ another child, at lease he's copying good sentences! Ds9 does his own narrations as does dd11. Ds6 narrates to me and most of the time...I don't make him recopy (too much writing hurts his poor wittle hands :(). Oh, for ds8, 1x/wk I make him write one sentence of his own (b/c he is capable) to practice.

I'm still writing my 3rd grader's narrations. We tried having her write her own last year and ran into problems. The quality went down because she was trying to write as little as possible because she hates to write. I knew when she began groaning whenever it was history time that it was time to change back. This year she is loving history again, and we are increasing her writing gradually using dictation. Probably next year or the year after we'll transition back to letting her write or maybe even type her own narrations again.